Route 66 rendezvous / Wig wam pool party

Ok the same weekend as our SWDP bbq & the Moreno valley meet is the famous Rt. 66 rendezvous run.

http://www.route-66.org/

I was talking with Steroid & were trying to find out if anybody would be interested in cruising the 66 run a few times then checking out the cars. After that either making a run down to the Moreno valley meet & or hanging out poolside @ the Wig wam motels http://www.wigwammotel.com/ where myself, Steroid & a few of the SD guys attending the SWDP bbq will be staying. The owner of the Wig wam has invited us to hang out there & bbq & for anybody who wants to swim you can change in our Tee-Pee seeing as we'll be checking in on Friday & it's less than 6 miles from the 66 run to the Wig wam.

We know theres alot going on in Sept but this can be a very kick back fun thing & a chance to catch up & visit with friends & talk Datsuns.

Theres a few places we can stage /meet up before cruising...stay tuned :D

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys............ I recently discovered that the HUGE Route 66 Rendevous is going on the same weekend as Our Bar-B-Que. I hadn't given any thought to that when Our date was changed from August to September 19th. Given the fact that San Bernardino, and more specifically, E Street, was a hotbed of mini trucking/cruising history. So. Cal. Datsun Pickups converged on the corner of 9th Street and E every Friday and Saturday night. The opportunity for Us to make quite a stir this year is now a reality!! The Route 66 committee has for years held fast to the policy that only 1974 and older vehicles are allowed to participate. Guy Gray was allowed as His truck is a 1973. My truck, Funtana, was allowed only after review. (It is a 1975). We all know that there is virtually no difference in the body of Our 620 pickups, but that a 1975 - 1979 (by Their rules) would not be allowed. It has always disturbed Me, though, that later model cars like post 1974 Corvettes and PT Cruisers are allowed. What I am getting at here is this year We have a chance to make a powerful "statement". My proposal to gather the largest group of Datsun vehicles seen in many years and not only cruise E Street, but park later in one area "en-masse" might get the committee members thinking about re-writing Their policy. Volkswagens are welcome, why are Japanese vehicles overlooked?

So here is My idea: We meet at about 2pm on E Street south of the Rendevous at the Brandin' Iron parking lot. It is just south of, and across the street from, Pep Boys. We make a historic cruise for a while, park and check out the Run. After that, We line up in a few historic locations for photos. Specifically 9th and E Street (if it is possable and can be done safely) where SCDP met years ago. I would also like to line up at the mall parking lot for a photo or two. The reason on this is the recent acquisition of Super 8 footage that Ron Mangus' wife shot prior to the club departing for The Great Escape Run in May 1975. I would like to recreate that view.

After this is done, Kumar has invited Us to gather around the swimming pool at the historic Wigwam Motel. You can decide to come over for a "pre Bar-B-Que" pool party or head to Morino Valley. Either way, I would like to get as many Datsun vehicles in the afternoon for the cruise.

Thanks guys!!! See You in a few weeks!!!

I did the 66 last year. Way to many cars for my taste. If you enter your car just plan on a 2+ hour drive to get back to your spot. And make sure your cooling system is in order. Last year it was hot as San Berdo in the summer.

I do know you have to pre register and send a photo of your car.

I did the 66 last year. Way to many cars for my taste. If you enter your car just plan on a 2+ hour drive to get back to your spot. And make sure your cooling system is in order. Last year it was hot as San Berdo in the summer.

I do know you have to pre register and send a photo of your car.

Jason - it'll be good to see you again.

John - our idea is to simply cruise the street & end up at a good spot for some pics. I know this run gets packed & theres tons of people. & even if it's hot the Wig wam pool wont be :cool:

Jason - it'll be good to see you again.

John - our idea is to simply cruise the street & end up at a good spot for some pics. I know this run gets packed & theres tons of people. & even if it's hot the Wig wam pool wont be :cool:

My bad. I thought you guys were going to enter. Yea and the pool thing is a good idea.

Hi guys. The spot on E Street We want to photograph is ABOVE the run. Even if streets are closed, We can go around to 6th and E. We will NOT be entering the event. (Pre 74 constraints-cost- etc.) but cruising AROUND it. See You in a few :D :D weeks!!!!

• 1 month later...

Heres the pix from the cruise & meet up @ the RT 66 event. There were 5 of us & boy was the event packed. Was nice to cruise & turn a few heads :cool:

25tf9y9.jpg

2n8vsyb.jpg

then we cruised to the Inland center mall for a historic photo. Ill let Steroid explain...

2yv3vdd.jpg

29naxkk.jpg

then off to the event......

fbyo1t.jpg

this is 6th & Est. in San bernadino where SCDP would hang out......

125422u.jpg

& now to the Wig wam......

2zzq3k3.jpg

oswp3d.jpg

top to bottom. Chopderek & wife, Bill [owns the K/C super short bed 620] & GF & Steroid.......

25hk0sp.jpg

Maniac's !!!!!!!!

smy7x1.jpg

dg2wcx.jpg

Deffinately good times !

Thanks Mark for the pics!!!

To explain the Inland Center Mall photo shoot: In May 1975, So. Cal. Datsun Pickups gathered in this same spot to get ready for a club caravan to the El Toro area for a run. Some of You have heard that I was graciously loaned Super 8 footage of that day that I had transfered to DVD. What We tried to do was to re-stage that day for a future project on Our website. I would like to do this again next year with better planning and cameras. Yes, this is a historic photo and thanks to all that attended!! One day I hope to show that footage to give an idea of the website project. See You next year!!!