• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

what all have you done to the engine? i have some 44mm lectron racing itbs for a 1400cc motorcylce i wan to make a manifold for and shave the head down a little and i feel like that will give it a little more pep.

well the new motor is a 2.1L... I've done lots of crap to it. LOL

The A14 is still 100% bone stock.

• 4 weeks later...

Car has to stop fast before it can go fast...

Working on installing my old 240Z front coilover struts with the bigger toyota brakes and cross-drilled and slotted rotors on the front of the Crossbred 210.

Everybody says its impossible, but it is not. DO NOT ATTEMPT if you do not know EXACTLY what you are doing and know how to setup Geometry on a Datsun suspension.

This is how I am building my setup(1981 210 coupe 2door):

240Z front struts with stock steering arms, spring perches cut off the strut and a threaded collar installed, MSA crossdrilled/ slotted rotors, SS braided brake lines, Hyperco or QA1 springs, haven't decided which ones I'm going to use yet(I have both). I would like to run Swift springs but they are a little pricey. I dont have any inserts other than some trash monroe inserts for setup, so I will have to get some Illuminas when I finish this swap.

***These brake calipers do not work with many 14" wheels!!!!! They do clear Iron Cross 280zx wheels but not many other OEM or aftermarket 14" wheels!***

Use the right side strut with right side steering arm on the left side of the car, to convert it to rear steer(if the brake calipers are shifted upward with a bracket, the left side strut could be used on the left side, but the calipers are very close to the tie rod end in the stock location, a strut spacer would also help the situation). The steering arms must be used on the "wrong" side no matter which struts go on which side.

The Z car strut will not mount onto the factory 210 steering arm.

Mount the Z car steering arm on the stock 210 ball joint(its the correct taper)

Use a Datsun 510 outer tie rod end(mine was NOS still in the paper wrap around the ends and in the nissan bag) that has the correct ball joint in it to be the same taper as the Z car outer tie rod end. Note, a longer center adjuster may be required, have not verified this yet. This will adapt the steering to the Z car steering arm.

If you bolt up the strut to the stock upper hat, you will have a lot of positive camber (the bad direction). A camber plate and/ or an offset bushing must be used and adjusted toward negative camber to achieve proper geometry..

Then all that is left is to hook up brake lines and set up the alignment (free if you have some string, jackstands, a tape measure, a camber gauge, and some know-how)

280zx wheels have been installed with 185/65R14 tires and old american racing lug nuts(from a set of Libre wheels).

FWIW, this could eventually be a problem for you. The holes in the wheels for the shank lug nuts are 2-3 MM larger than the shanks on those American lug nuts. The only lug nuts that fit "properly" are the OEM Nissan lug nuts. You can usually pick up some at a junkyard cheap. Just about every Nissan from '79 and up with factory aluminum wheels used these lug nuts.

The standard "mag" lug nuts you're using now will "work" for awhile, but may eventually oblong the holes in the wheels.

FWIW, this could eventually be a problem for you. The holes in the wheels for the shank lug nuts are 2-3 MM larger than the shanks on those American lug nuts. The only lug nuts that fit "properly" are the OEM Nissan lug nuts. You can usually pick up some at a junkyard cheap. Just about every Nissan from '79 and up with factory aluminum wheels used these lug nuts.

The standard "mag" lug nuts you're using now will "work" for awhile, but may eventually oblong the holes in the wheels.

No, These are original lug nuts that came with REAL "Libre" wheels. They are not new ones from a parts store. Designed to fit OEM Nissan wheels.

Interesting thing is the Z car strut housings are about 2" shorter than the 210 strut housings, essentially acting as sectioned strut tubes. With the 7" threaded collar adjusted all the way to the top, 1 inch down from the gland nut, with an 8" hyperco spring(around 200-225 Lb/in rate) the car sits at stock ride height with the shock most of the way extended.

Plenty of room to go to lower the car to an acceptable camber curve. Still going to need to build adjustable control arms and my camber plates to achieve a better than stock geometry.

In the end I have 10" QA1 springs in rates of 225Lb/in and 250Lb/in that I have to chose from, and the unknown rate 8" hyperco springs.