Thunderstorm warnings

Usually we don't get a lot of thunder and lightning in this locale.....today seems to be the exception.

I can here the crack and rumbling as I type this.

Not good.....the forests are very dry (combine that with the beetle kill) and any fire can get out of hand.....real quick. Already have a fire start about 2kms away.....a little too close to home. Just noticed a helicopter dropping water on it. :thumbup:

It looks like it's in a 'good' spot.....for fires that is. Near the top of a mountain and a small clear cut.....easy access......I hope.

Had a fire here (just south) in 2003......26,000 hectares leveled, not good. Didn't have to evacuate but was packed and ready to go at a moments notice, waiting for the 'order'

Including all the homes.. :( ..it also burned the hydro/elec lines, no power for 2 weeks.

The main highway south was also closed.....That sucked.... big time!

Hard to tell.....but center of pic. Camera has been somewhat NFG since I dropped it in the sink.....full of water :blink:

P8250078.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very very dry here too Doug. Was working beside an excavator this morning. The soil was just powder that he was lifting into the truck. Dusty as a dry fart. We seldom get thunder, maybe every 18 months. We do get 'heat lightening' just flashes in the clouds but no boom.

Maybe the MARS bomber will come out there.

Rode my bike home is the rain to-day!!! Well a light spray really. Just made it humid. It would have to rain solid for 2-3 weeks to wet everything.

That's dry? Heh...

Ya....it's deceivingly dry.

Mike....I don't even think the MARS bomber was in the province when the fires hit Kelowna and Barriere back in 2003????

Anywho......yes.... dry as a popcorn farting :lol:

Took the dogs out this afternoon to check on the locale of the fire........did the loop.

Couldn't find it.......well I knew where it was.....but I was running low on beer ;)

Here's a pic looking back down to my place.

Isn't it 'purdy'......? :)

P8260003.jpg

P8260005.jpg

And more south.....

P8260004.jpg

Came across a SnowCat for sale.......would look pretty good with one of my spare cabs on it...... :)

P8260007.jpg

A lot cooler here today and we actually had thunder! And a big dump of hard rain for 20 min. Was all dry by the time I biked home.

Yes......cooler here also. Think we're out of the fire season with all the rain we had in the last few days. Knock on wood.

Had more lightning and thunder yesterday than in the last 5 years.

Saw the lightning and counted......1 and 2....BOOM!!!!......Fuck that close. Freaked the dogs right out.. :frantics: ...and me.

Don't think my tomatoes and cukes have enough time left in the season for fruition. :blink:

Poop.

Old man winter in 6 weeks.

Two seconds would be about 1/2 mile. Pick em green before frost or cover outdoors, then bring in and set on the window ledge. Eat them as they ripen or make chutney, yum.

Good for the tomatoes.... :)

But the cukes are only about 1 inch long...... :lol:

Slightly behind schedule :unsure:

Lost the first batch......wet spring

WTF....?

Got some snow on the local mountains last nite..... :blink:

Bizarre weather lately.....It was 47C on my deck a couple of weeks ago!

The leaves haven't even turned yet. :confused:

Looks like a long winter coming up....as predicted :poop:

Noticed a couple of people in town with smoke coming out of their chimneys, might have to join the cause...bit of a snap in the air.