l20c 20 over head gaskets? Help!

motavated

While looking at the hainz video. He adviced in the movie that the head gasket should not interfier with the piston. The felpro head gasket was touching the inside of the cylinder bore. I decided that it was ok and it was torqued up. but I guess it is not! Should I find a correct head gasket just to be safe?

I think I will take it apart, double check, and replace with a correct one. Any advice is appreciated... :D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If over bored then a larger gasket should be used. Datsun pistons don't generally rise above the deck but the exposed edge of the metal fire ring will erode from the combustion heat. Best that it be just slightly larger than the bore to protect it.

I buzzed hainz so he can sell me one of his special head gaskets that need payments... Maybe he can help me out?

But I did take it apart. I found that the felpro does go into the bore. Just verily... But it does... I have another head gasket by beck and arnley as well, its made from asbestos. The beck and arnley seem's to clear it. Has any one had good experiences from asbestos head gaskets? Other than dying a horrible death? Here are the pics... Here are the pics. I think its best just to find that clears it 100%...

Asbestos head.

IMG_7689.jpg

felpro head.

IMG_7688.jpg

I measured them the diameter of the gaskets. I also went to the store and ordered a Rock and some other "JDM" brand head gasket and compared notes.

The Felpro has the smallest diameter pretty much stock bore.

Then Rock head gasket and the other jdm one were the second largest diameter, but not by much.

The gasket with the biggest diameter was the beck and arnley at 87.08 mm I am going to use that and I ordered two more on sale from rock auto. THANKS!

I measured them the diameter of the gaskets. I also went to the store and ordered a Rock and some other "JDM" brand head gasket and compared notes.

The Felpro has the smallest diameter pretty much stock bore.

Then Rock head gasket and the other jdm one were the second largest diameter, but not by much.

The gasket with the biggest diameter was the beck and arnley at 87.08 mm I am going to use that and I ordered two more on sale from rock auto. THANKS!

looks like you got it sorted out. just as a side note: i know i've had issues with head gaskets and many others have as well. i have had bad luck using the felpro and victor reinz gaskets in high performance applications, spcifically a U67 on an L18. i had over heating problems. those problems went away when i used the OEM nissan gasket. then i found that all HP Nissan engine builders use the Nissan gasket exclusively, and now i do also. I think Hainz has mentioned before that the aftermarket gaskets will work Ok for normal street cars, i don't have a normal street driver.

please let me know if you have any problems burping the system or if you have any over heating issues with the Beck gasket.

thanks!

Yeah I really dont want to part w/my 87mm gaskets.I heard Felpro dont last either but Byron on the Realm said he has good luck with em

if I sell you a gasket then everybody will want one. Then I have to NO.

I use them for trade in most cases or if people help me out in motor swaps and such.

My last head gasket change I used a McCord gasket brand from years ago. I think its really a STONE jap made gasket. I dont know if Stone is same as the victor renz

looks like you got it sorted out. just as a side note: i know i've had issues with head gaskets and many others have as well. i have had bad luck using the felpro and victor reinz gaskets in high performance applications, spcifically a U67 on an L18. i had over heating problems. those problems went away when i used the OEM nissan gasket. then i found that all HP Nissan engine builders use the Nissan gasket exclusively, and now i do also. I think Hainz has mentioned before that the aftermarket gaskets will work Ok for normal street cars, i don't have a normal street driver.

please let me know if you have any problems burping the system or if you have any over heating issues with the Beck gasket.

thanks!

I will thanks! I usually just lift the car up in the front and run it with water... PLus the thermostat housing has a exit that allow water to keep flowing.

I cked Rockauto. Damn 5$ apc for the head gaskets!!!!!!!!!! I would have bought all of them , only 4 left

In total I have 4. One felpro. One on my engine. And two coming in. I am cool with that. I am guessing 100k per gasket? After that maybe a newer engine is needed...