Where are the 510 headlight relays

73dime

My passenger side headlight is out on my 73 510. When I turn on my brights though it turns on. So the only way I can drive at night without getting pulled over for a light out is drive with all four on. Is this a problem with my relay? I looked all over the car manuel and can't trace where the relays are. The wires all are correct because I compared them to someone elses 510 that had properly working headlights. Let me know, thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you already try changing out the headlight? Your low beam filiment in the light can burn out. Leaving you with just the high beam in the headlight. Take the headlight in question out of the car. Then put test leads on the terminals on the back of it. I don't think polarity matters, but move the test leads around on the terminals to see if you still have two different brightnesses of light. If the sealed beam tests O.K. it is an electrical issue. Check and wiggle test the fuse for that light. I had a similar issue a little while ago. It turned out to be in the fusebox. Good luck

Thanks for your input guys, I didn't know there was a high and low beam filiment. That makes the most sense why things aren't adding up. I will either change out the light completely or take it out and try it on the other side to see if it is and electrical issue. Thanks again.

Check the fuse!!!! replace it with a brand new 20amp one.. i almost started ripping out wires when i just replaced the fuse as a "f it" last resort, and wala it worked... but my problem was my driver hibeam would be on and my reg headlight was off when i hit the brights the hibeam got dimmer.. turned out the fuse looked like it had been burned halfway but not completely... and yes the headlights do have a relay..

Yeah, after playing around with it the old fuse eventually went and I replaced it with a new one but the horn still didn't work. I will try what has been said earlier and see if anything happens. That's a simple thing to check though that saves you a lot of time and trouble. Thanks