Should I Re-Ring this Engine ?

Recently I just pulled an L24 240z engine that supposively has 99,700 miles ( previous family owners from bought new , and is a # matching motor to the car ! :D ) ,,, reason for pulling is ALL of the core plugs were rotten ( leaking coolant from nearly each one when I got it started ) , and I was going to re-seal the engine as well as upgrade the trans to a 5spd. I pulled nearly all apart ( except rotating assembly ) and will replace the following

(1) Timing Chain Set ( stretched )

(2) Main Bearings (#2 and #4 were getting close to out of spec )

(3) Connecting Rod Bearings

(4) All Engine Seals

(5) Valves Re-Ground

(6) Head Possibly Re-Surfaced ? ( Cam Valve Train looks good , and is quiet after adjustment :D )

(7) All core plugs replaced ( with brass ones :D )

My dilema is should I re-ring the pistons since the rest of the engine is getting checked/sealed/new parts ??? Pro's Listed Below

(1) Compression test yielded higher results ( I have the numbers some where , fairly even :lol: )

(2) No Ridge on the cylinder wall ( just a touch of mositure from pressure washer :unsure: )

(3) Cross Hatch is clearly visible on all cylinder

(4) Cylinders look great !

(5) Engine never smoked or used oil prior to dis-assembly

I know this is a retarded question , but for a little extra $$$ I just want to make either the correct decision to not screw with a good thing or make sure I might have the opportunity to run it a little longer with just re-ringing it! I already have a piston-ring grinder in hand , piston rings will cost like $60 ( cheapy cast-iron ones :D )

Ok oics are shitty from my laptop cam :unsure:

gallery_4164_680_23578.jpg

gallery_4164_680_6479.jpg

Core Plugs !!! :rolleyes:

gallery_4164_680_54959.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For $60 why are you even asking? :lol: $10 a pop seems kind of cheap. Spend a bit more and do it right. Get the right ones from the dealer likely twice as much but better.

Measure the bores about 2" down. If within reasonable spec then a quick hone and re-ring. good for another quarter million.

Make sure you use anti freeze coolant.

For $60 why are you even asking? :lol: $10 a pop seems kind of cheap. Spend a bit more and do it right. Get the right ones from the dealer likely twice as much but better.

Measure the bores about 2" down. If within reasonable spec then a quick hone and re-ring. good for another quarter million.

Make sure you use anti freeze coolant.

:rofl: ,,,, Thanks much datzenmike ,,,, yeah , it's not the price and definetly is cheap ! :lol:

der der der , I guess it sounded a bit more retarded then intended :rofl:

I will definetly call Nissan Tomorrow as I have to pick up the new head bolts for this engine from them anyways :angry: ( 2 broke ,I'm afraid the rest are stretched :unsure: so for $65 from Nissan I am going all new ones )

yup , will definetly mic those suckers out , but should be in great shape at first glance :thumbup:

The cooling system rot was the result of sitting for x number of years with improper mix/neglect ( as you know ) ,,, I don't know how many but I think it would be at least 10 years :no: , literally ATE EVERYTHING cooling related ! ( core plugs , timing cover gasket , water pump , heater core, the little coolant interchange pipes :no: )

What Mike said.The bore measurements will TELL you what you are going to do.

Thanks and yes you are correct sir ! :D ,,, Bores are now measured and my assumption is correct..... for ONCE ,,,, I can actually use standard piston rings with a light polished hone as well as the OE pistons look to be in very good shape ,,, so I shall re-use ! :lol: ... :cool:

Today was a good day !!! :thumbup: