Garage Build

I really envy you guys, your houses are so far apart from the neighbors.

Here I have a double garage, can fit about 5 vehicles but the neighbors complain from exesive noise when using the compressor or electric grinder.

When I barely got my air compressor I did some body work on my friend's car, 2 days later the City comes to my house telling me that the neighbors complained that I have an autoshop at home and needed to make an inspection, they told me that I can only use my compressor from 8AM to 6PM, to remove the oil stains on the driveway, and not to paint any cars. If they have to come again I will get an expensive fine.

People here in California use their garages for storage or for an extra room.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

our noise ordanance is 9pm, but i have parties that run till 3-4am about 5 times a year (biggest party yet was my "i got my datsun running party!) and the neighbors are cool with it. i only have 2 neighbors on my cul-de-sac to worry about though. thanks for the tip with the 8' doors. my grandpa's garage (which i am using now) has 7' doors and i hate them! also guys, keep in mind that i am on a very tight budget, so some of these ideas are out of my price range. i mentioned earlier that for the time being i am just going to get it dried in and the electrical and water ran to it. i am very fortunate that one of my best friends runs an excavator, and my other friends' grandpa has a dump truck operation going. he's already agreed to take my dirt off my hands for me, and my friend with the trac-hoe said he would do it for $150 and what ever fuel he uses. you can tell there is a lot of dirt there to be removed! i am going to have to hire the concrete done, i can do side walks and stuff, but nothing on this level! i have friends that are going to do my electrical and plumbing, but then i still have to think about building permits and stuff like that. if you guys can think of some ways to save money on building costs...let me know! i really do appreciate all of your input, its helping a lot!

Back to the 8' doors and budget for a second. The last set of doors that i had installed, the two front doors were not an option for 7' or 8'. The back dood was optional for height, Price difference was less than 20 bucks. Here is my next suggestion for a shop, did this to my current garage and will do it to any future garages also. Garage is 35 x 40. Front has a 12' wide x 8' tall door for the wifes side of the garage. My side has a 16' wide x 8' tall door. At the back wall of my side is another 8' x 8' door. This back door did not get a power opener though. This is the handiest door for airflow. Can run a vehicl in the garage if i want. Paint smells exit fast. Too hot in the garage in the summer evening, open all three doors and it cools right down to outside temperature. Riding mower exits right to the back yard. Or i can drive straight through the garage if it is clean. At the back wall of the wifes side is a 36" man door. Also very convenient to the back yard.

Jason

Do not use plastic pipe for compressed air. It is fine for water, because water does not compress, and if the pipe breaks, you just have a water leak. Air compresses, and stores a lot of energy when it is compresses. If a plastic pipe breaks, that energy is released suddenly. As an explosion.

I am pretty sure It violates building codes, too.