gear oil for 77 b210 5 speed

my b210 has a A12 with a 5 speed its starting to be loud in 5th gear i had it checked and was told my trans fluid is low but he couldent find what type mine takes and neather can i any help?

also im thinking about draining and refilling the trans and rear axel what should i get to do this right and steps to take also what is the right fluid for the rear axel also

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my b210 has a A12 with a 5 speed its starting to be loud in 5th gear i had it checked and was told my trans fluid is low but he couldent find what type mine takes and neather can i any help?

also im thinking about draining and refilling the trans and rear axel what should i get to do this right and steps to take also what is the right fluid for the rear axel also

This post should tell you way more than you want to know about trans and rear end oil:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20936-manual-transmission-fluid/

I would imagine your B210 would be the same as other Datsuns as far as oil needed.

Len

Transmission....................... GL-4 80W90

Differential............................. GL-5 80W90

Do not use GL-5 in the transmission. GL-5 contains a higher percentage of sulphur anti scuff additives to protect the gear surfaces in a differential that transmit power in a 90 degree bend and because of the tooth design, slide and rub differently than a transmission. The sulphur additive will break down into a weak acid that would attack the phosphor/bronze synchronizer rings used in many Japanese import cars. Differentials contain no copper or bronze, also known as 'yellow metal' and so are GL-5 safe.

GL-4 transmission oils contain less anti scuff additives to protest the 'yellow metal' parts.

Nissan specifically calls for GL-4 in their transmissions. Many newer cars do, not and many mechanics are unaware that GL-5 is not compatible or will say that GL-5 is better protection. Technically it is, but it also is no good for the internal bronze parts.

Yes in a pinch use GL-5 to save your tranny. Just change it for the good stuff later. The tranny should never be allowed to run low enough to cause noise. It can be jacked up and the plug removed and checked in under 10 minutes.

Oil breaks down with time an temperature so change every 30K miles. It holds about 2 pints so this won't cost an arm and a leg.

• Like 1

Low oil level noise usually happens in all gears. Noise in particular gears is usually sign of badly worn gears, or a bad bearing in the effected shaft.

As for the 1200 GL4 rear diff oil, the 1200 isn't exactly a high-load situation requiring GL5. The specifications for each GL rating was based on application, not by additive content. However the common additive package for GL5 was corrosive to copper and brass parts.

would low gear oil cause my 5th gear to be loud?

Low oil can cause all kinds of noise. The problem is that noise is an indication that wear is taking place and adding oil may be too late. filling to proper level may cure this. If 4th is noticably quieter than the other gears then the counter shaft bearings are worn. 5th gear noise only, could just be the front counter shaft bearing. Remove the bung half way up the side of the case and reach inside with your finger. The level should be right up at the opening. Transmissions do not 'use' oil so you must have a leak. Most likely at the rear seal in the end of the drive shaft. Look for oily wetness at the front end of the drive shaft. The seal is about $5 and all you have to do is remove the drive shaft to install it. Any home mechanic can do this.

Low oil can cause all kinds of noise. The problem is that noise is an indication that wear is taking place and adding oil may be too late. filling to proper level may cure this. If 4th is noticably quieter than the other gears then the counter shaft bearings are worn. 5th gear noise only, could just be the front counter shaft bearing. Remove the bung half way up the side of the case and reach inside with your finger. The level should be right up at the opening. Transmissions do not 'use' oil so you must have a leak. Most likely at the rear seal in the end of the drive shaft. Look for oily wetness at the front end of the drive shaft. The seal is about $5 and all you have to do is remove the drive shaft to install it. Any home mechanic can do this.

4th is quiter than rest how do i fix this

Hail Mary:

If you have never changed the oil now is the time. Dog knows when it was done last if at all by previous owner(s). Should be changed every 30K, so do the math.

The drain bung is at the bottom of the transmission and looks like the fill hole bung. Usually a 1/2" drive ratchet (without socket) will fit the square hole. You may need a short length of pipe over the end of the handle to add some leverage.

The drain has a magnet on the top to collect ferrous metal particles. This is from a well worn tranny and has some small filings on it. A black paste... is normal.

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx005Large.jpg

This is NOT normal, and has a piece of bearing race on it. I have seen them with ball bearings stuck to them.

FS5W71Bteardown001Large.jpg

Whatever you find, clean it off so you have a starting point to judge from on the next oil change in 4-5 years. It takes about two liters of GL-4 oil to re fill it.