planning holly 5200 swap

I've done a little bit of research & I want to put a holley 5200 on my 86 D21 with nap z2.4I. I understand it's very much like the weber & adapter kits may even be the same.

I'm thinking about changin to the carb type intake manifold & distributor if I can find them localy.

I've noticed when I looked for the 5200 on a local parts yard website and it comes up as a multiple series of numbers & letters...I'm guessing # of cyl, cid, tranny type,emissions type...the rest I don't understand.

I do realize I gota modify the fuel system some how because the carb won't handle all that pressure.

I've been flipping idea's for an alternative to the EFI system because I'm ALWAYS running into probs with vacuum or something else with that system that I can't seem to figure out,

& I've read up on the agrivations with that system & said finally hell with it I want just a straight carb, & a used 5200 is just in my ballpark....& yes I'm looking forward to getting rid of most of the emissions crap..

I'm just trying to get everything planned out so the next time I have room in the shop to park the truck & work on it, that I can get it done all at once with no guessing & or making mistakes along the way.

Maybe this will keep me busy till I can find a second job to support a KA build. So if any of you see something wrong with my plan or maybe a tip to make it easier PLEASE hook a brotha up!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A decent Fuel pressure regulator isn't that expensive and makes it easy to tune fuel pressure to you carb's needs :) I got a nice billet one with a gauge off ebay for +/- $60.00 I also recommended a fuel return line as it reduces stress on your fuel pump. Good luck with the holley :)

I just purchased a 5200 carb (I'm 90% sure it is). on the base...if I read it right it's R-8389, but its got a remanufactured ford RM-19 sticker on it & a Motorcraft choke coil cover. right above the reman sticker is another number 12R-7431-B. I've researched abit on it & the R-8389 comes up as R-8389A???....anyway I'm just stating for research on this so if anyone knows anything, let me know. <---------with all this being said, which weber install kit would work with this carb since I'm not finding anything concrete about this carb?....many thanks in advance

The 5200 is essentially the same design as the weber dfav 32/36. I think they were made specific for certain vehicles like the pinto,vega,capri..but have the same main design.

I have 1 5200 carb with removeable linkage but all the others have a solid mounted linkage that does not work with datsuns unless you modify it.

Waaay better off getting a weber dgv but if it has the removeable linkage plate and it comes cheap then give it a shot,it will work. The only thing inside that would be different would be the jets which are interchangeable with all the weber dgv dfav dfav1 dges jets...

yeah I'm having trouble trying to find a linkage set up, I was on a site a day or 2 ago that had all sorts of linkage end adapters, but I can't seem to find it again (just my luck!). but I'm sure I will come up with something even if I gotta get a little pulley from the hardware store & cut it & notch it then rivet it to the damn carb hahahaha!

Some dont have the built in return spring either. When you rely on an add on spring to close completely to get the idle even it gets all screwed up. I have tried many different things with a number of those carbs and it usually ends up bad. I literally have a box full of them but I dont use them any more cause I have better carbs. If you need something for a 5200 I bet I have it.

I'm still learning about carbs but I think this has a return spring because it snaps shut as soon as I let go of the throttle lever...o yeah as I'm learning by looking @ other 5200's since I can't trace mine exactly, I've learned that mine only has 1 jet & I think I might be missing a few parts as soon as I figure out what they are I will let you know but 1 thats obvious is that thing sticking straight off the top of the fuel bowl then turns down behind the bowl....I seen in a illustration some where that there is suppose to be something that screwes in there with a filter....I don't have this, not even sure if I even need this but it looks kinda odd stuck out there like that. If I had a true illustration that is reputable. I would compare & see what I need & what just did not come with the carb.....it would be great if I could find info on this carb to see what it came with & why.

They were also a replacement for the Horizon/Omni. I have one as well. I just took the wheel off an old factory carb and welded it to the one on the Holley. Made a bracket that bolted to the intake where the ERG was and called it good. I'll see if I have a picture of it somewhere.

Not sure what the float bowl part is that you speak of but I probably have one. Honestly I really wouldnt suggest even bothering to mess with a 5200. Sell it on ebay and get a used weber dgv. The 5200s are usually a bitch to fit linkage but I have also welded on a stock plate before too. They also dont usually match up to any weber air cleaners and require even more mods. Do you have a digital camera or cell phone that takes pics? If so please take a pic of it and post it so I can get a better idea what you have so I can try to help you out better.

Not sure what the float bowl part is that you speak of but I probably have one. Honestly I really wouldnt suggest even bothering to mess with a 5200. Sell it on ebay and get a used weber dgv. The 5200s are usually a bitch to fit linkage but I have also welded on a stock plate before too. They also dont usually match up to any weber air cleaners and require even more mods. Do you have a digital camera or cell phone that takes pics? If so please take a pic of it and post it so I can get a better idea what you have so I can try to help you out better.

My phone cam sucks but here's what I got.

0807100008.jpg

0807100013.jpg

0807100018.jpg

0807100019.jpg

0807100020.jpg

0807100023.jpg

0807100025.jpg

Yeah,thats about it. Those carbs suck..IMO A 32/36 carb is just that. A great carb but the 5200 is a licensed reproduction built for specefic applications. Just slap it on and mod some linkage and it will rock just fine. Unless your an old school tweeker I would still say ditch it. Its essentially a weber but I would choose a stock hitachi over the hassle anyday. But if you gotta have cheap weber performance mod up the link and rock it without an aircleaner