Door Hanging

Trying to fix a few doors on my wagon. One of my rears looks to have fallen down. It does not go with the lines. A couple other doors are simply angled wrong. Which part of the hinge do I touch to adjust the doors? The part touching the doors or the part touching the car itself?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not done a 510 yet but I imagine you may need to adjust both body side and door side of the hinges. First start by checking to see if there are any problems with the structure of the doors and hinges (looseness/worn parts) and fix it first. Also, make sure the doors are fully dressed with all parts for correct weight/load.

Second, work with the rear doors first since these must line up with the quarter panels that are fixed (not moveable), then line up the front doors to match the rear doors and then fit fenders to match the front doors.

You can make adjustments to the hinge body side bolts to move the door up/down and line up the body character lines.

You should be able to adjust the hinge door side bolts to change the flushness of the door with the body and other doors.

Also, you can adjust the door striker on the body side (part that latch grabs onto) to change the flushness of the door at rear lock points.

Also, you may have to use a little muscle to make slight tweaks/bends to the window frames to line them up if needed. It may require much going back and fourth between adjustments to refine the fit of the doors and you may have to compromise on some gaps in order to make the body side character line a priority.

I'm sure other members will chime in and correct me if some of my assumptions are wrong (I assumed the hinges have adjustment at body and door side).

The best trick I used was taking off the latch catcher on the car,,,,, not the latch on the door

Then take off the kick panels, and loosen the 3 bolts holding the hinge to the car,,,,, not the 2 bolts holding the hinge to the door.

And use shims, or another person to line up the door perfectly while you tighten the 3 hinge bolts...

If the hinges are 35 years old,,, it is likely the driver's side hinges are sagging......... here is a link for "how to fix 510 door hinges":

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18773-fix-510-door-hinges/

I got new hinges from nissan for like $65 or more for 1 upper and one lower

here is a link for "how to fix 510 door hinges":

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18773-fix-510-door-hinges/

I knew I saw a thread somewhere about this, too bad the search sucks...

Anyways my doors all are a breeze to open with the exception being a rear door. It has a sheared pin (not the main pivot pin). I think my driver door is the easiest to open/close door of them all.