confused about my rear diff.

I went out this afternoon to check the rear end of a dime i just bought, the PO said it had a r180 LSD in it. i don't always believe everybody so i thought i'd check. jacked both rear tires off the ground and spun one by hand looking for the other wheel to either spin the same dirrection or opposite. but it didn't spin at all! switched sides and it was the same! confused i checked my other dime with a r160 and (i think) an open diff and it does the same thing. I don't understand. if it's open the wheels should spin opposite directions right???

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out this afternoon to check the rear end of a dime i just bought, the PO said it had a r180 LSD in it. i don't always believe everybody so i thought i'd check. jacked both rear tires off the ground and spun one by hand looking for the other wheel to either spin the same dirrection or opposite. but it didn't spin at all! switched sides and it was the same! confused i checked my other dime with a r160 and (i think) an open diff and it does the same thing. I don't understand. if it's open the wheels should spin opposite directions right???

Checking the LSD should be done before you buy it.

Open diff:

Place in gear, engine off. Raise both wheels. Turn one side the other will turn the opposite. If transmission is in neutral it's possible to turn one side and the other not move but the drive shaft will spin when turning the wheel.

Working LSD diff.

Transmission in gear, both wheels off ground. Neither tire will turn by hand.

Transmission out of gear. Both tires off the ground. Both tires will turn the same direction by hand.

Transmission out of gear. If either tire is on the ground the other tire will not turn by hand.

Non working LSD.

Will work exactly the same as an open differential

sorry guys, i'm a moron. i had both cars in neutral when i tested them. i was going to buy the car whether it had a lsd or not, just thought maybe i would get a bonus but they turned out to both be open. on the same note. do you think it would be worth the trouble to swap the r180 into my nicer car? is it really much stronger? i might just hold out for a r160 lsd...