510 door panels

dgi

I've been working on my 72 2-door 510's interior. My interior panels were in bad shape due to the uncaring nature of the previous owner. It doesn't seem anyone offers these panels precut.

So, I purchased automotive specification panel board and started making my own, probably like many of you have. Not finished yet, but it is going well, both doors are completed.

Buti, I got to thinking. If I needed these, so do other PL-510 owners. And maybe I have just the solution.

About 2.5 miles from my home is a firm that can laser cut anything from steel to wood. They already produce several automotive panels for later model vehicles.

So, I'm thinking about taking my original panels over there and getting a quote to produce a few sets.

Would there be enough interest to make it worth fronting the money?

What price would be attractive enough for 510 owners to buy a set instead of fighting the old ones?

NOTE: I'm only talking about the fibre board panels, not including the vinyl upholstery pieces.

Give my your opinion please.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only source for door panels I can think of is http://www.datsunrestore.com/photo2.html

From the website it appears he only sells the vinyl to cover your existing panels. They are about 70 to 75 for a pair of doors and about the same for rears. I have been thinking of getting a set but I dont know what the quality is like...

510SKINF.JPG

510SKINR.JPG

The only source for door panels I can think of is http://www.datsunrestore.com/photo2.html

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am aware of datsunrestore.com. AFAIK, they only offer the vinyl covers. I've called three times and asked for a call back, and emailed 6 times. No reply yet in two months of trying. I would have already placed an order for seats and panel covers if the proprietor would just take the time to answer a few questions.

For this car, I'm trying to restore to "near" stock. The original fiber panels were basically destroyed, so I have to replicate them.

I'm only talking about producing the fiber panels themselves here though. Easily obtainable fibre door panels could be a major contribution to the Datsun community.

I make these.set of six fiberglass 2 kickers, 2 front, 2 rear 150.00$ Also carbon fiber 260.00$ pictures on my thread page 1968-73 510 fiberglass. I believe Pare composites sells them too.

I would be more interested in cheap vinyl pieces of the panels. The board itself is easy enough to replicate.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I know the board is easy enough to replicate. However, it is time consuming and expensive to obtain the "proper" materials, cut to the proper shapes, and place the multitude of holes precisely.

I've restored numerous interiors and have a well equipped shop in order to do the work. But, I can't do anywhere as precise a cutting job as a laser cutting machine. The machine can precisely and completely cut all 7 panels (8 if you need the one behind the rear seat) in the time it takes me to set up to make the first cut.

I know that most of our fellow Ratsuners will pick up aome Masonite or Luan panels and start cutting. After all, there isn't really another choice currently. But, if the choice was there and one could just order a set, wouldn't that be a big help?

I agree with you though, it would be nice to have some nice vinyl covers available.

The cheap stock fiberboard is a joke. I f you make them out of that stuff you will end up replacing them again (The fiberboard draws moisture!) I would think your money ahead making them out of a material unaffected by the elements.

I make these.set of six fiberglass 2 kickers, 2 front, 2 rear 150.00$ Also carbon fiber 260.00$ pictures on my thread page 1968-73 510 fiberglass. I believe Pare composites sells them too.

Hi kmc63,

Even though we PMed about your hood, I was not aware you made these panels. Learn something new every day, right?

Do you duplicate the factory panels with the clip holes around the edges, or do you just put the window crank and door handle holes so that the panel can be left unupholstered? I can't tell from the pics on you post.

Could you send me a better description along with a larger picture?

I agree that fiber board can take on moisture. That is why I only use "automotive specification" board that when properly installed is relatively immune to any moisture in the doors. That means the plastic moisture barrier and felts has to be installed behind it. One of the other cars I specialize in uses an automotive specification "black cardboard" and the upholstery is sewed to and through it. Now, that is real fun! I've got one here now where the improper material was used and installed without any moisture barrier. The driver's door has enough waves in it to make you seasick!

Thanks,

dgi

in FG, do they still need to be covered or are the exterior surfaces paintable???

I've called three times and asked for a call back, and emailed 6 times. No reply yet in two months of trying. I would have already placed an order for seats and panel covers if the proprietor would just take the time to answer a few questions.

:angry:

if you had placed a order you likely would have rec'd it.

still no idea why he nevers responds to anyone these days? :hmm:

Hi kmc63,

Even though we PMed about your hood, I was not aware you made these panels. Learn something new every day, right?

Do you duplicate the factory panels with the clip holes around the edges, or do you just put the window crank and door handle holes so that the panel can be left unupholstered? I can't tell from the pics on you post.

Could you send me a better description along with a larger picture?

I agree that fiber board can take on moisture. That is why I only use "automotive specification" board that when properly installed is relatively immune to any moisture in the doors. That means the plastic moisture barrier and felts has to be installed behind it. One of the other cars I specialize in uses an automotive specification "black cardboard" and the upholstery is sewed to and through it. Now, that is real fun! I've got one here now where the improper material was used and installed without any moisture barrier. The driver's door has enough waves in it to make you seasick!

Thanks,

dgi

My parts are duplicates only in that I use the original as a template. They do not have clips on the back. They attach using existing holes and some 3m double back tape. Now before you start getting all sketchy on me,this tape does work very well.PM me your email address and I will try to get you some better pics. Nice thing about these parts is they are thinner than stock flat,can be changed in color,texture,overlays,clearcoated anything you want. will not be affected by weather and will last as long as your vehicle.

in FG, do they still need to be covered or are the exterior surfaces paintable???

:angry:

if you had placed a order you likely would have rec'd it.

still no idea why he nevers responds to anyone these days? :hmm:

paintable

See pictures above.