620 Air Conditioning Compressor Mount

Looking for the factory compressor mount and tensioner pulley that was dealer installed on the drivers side between the steering box and the exhaust manifold. It was supposedly mounted here on the early 620's and then when the smog pump was added it was moved over by the alternator. I am also looking for the 74 headlight knob which is black with white writing. Any info or insight into the 620 air conditioner would be appreciated. Also pictures if you got them.

Thanks,

Robert

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the parts you need, but a couple of thoughts on the subject - My '79 200SX with L20B has the AC compressor on the drivers side. I'm sure it is the factory setup, using a York piston compressor which is tipped toward the fender at quite an angle. I believe the smog pump mounted above the compressor is why it leans over. It probably isn't quite what you are thinking of, but if you see any late '70s SXs in wrecking yards, you might look at the bracket if they have AC. Also, the same era 510s may have had AC option and used the same bracket.

I have an under dash knee knocker AC unit I got out of a 620 at Pull n Save. I got it with the idea of hacking it into my 510. It isn't in great shape, so I won't feel bad if I take a saw and glue gun to it. I don't know what year 620 it came out of, but I remember it had a home made compressor bracket on the passengers side. It was pretty crudely made so I didn't get it, although I probably should have. If I do my 510, I'll need some sort of bracket.

Another AC 620 I recall seeing had the bracket on the passengers side, and the interior AC parts were built into the dash. I don't know how much effort would be involved swapping a AC dash into a 620 (probably a lot of work), but it would make a neater looking installation than the under dash type.

Len

The steering gear box on the 620 is right where the compressor would be on any other L series car. The bracket has to be able to put the compressor above the gear gear box. It is going to be a completely different bracket. Thanks for the great info.

Len, you are right. Gen, you have an aftermarket version. I pulled the entire setup out of my 77, it was factory installed and I have everything but the compressor, wich is a mini york piston style. The factory version has piping with a/c vents in the center of the dash above the heater controls, and then both dash vents are plumbed into it as well. The bracket indeed bolts to the passenger side, and the tensioner setup bolts in place of the front timing cover. I have it all for sale, but it is terribly bulky.........I had everything pressure checked and it is all good to go, but as Mike said, that bracket is HEAVY.........shipping would be very hard to overcome, unless you are very wealthy, then lets deal LOL....................

If my a/c stuff wasnt sitting 22 miles away i would have a pic for you........let me know if you need one.

Bill

I think I have what you are looking for but I was trying to sell it with a 620 A/C unit...

DSC09940.JPG

Could you possibly take a few pictures of the mount from different angles? I am just trying to get an idea of where it mounts the compressor. Thanks again!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Robert - What has been pictured so far are brackets for the York compressors. What you are looking for is the bracket and idler pulley for a rotary compress which is different from the York compressor (at least I believe that is true)... I'll try to give you a call this evening.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.