Hour meter?? 77 620.........

Anyone else have this on their datsun?? At first i thought it was part of the factory a/c system, but as I took it out I realized it was wired into the main harness.........it works but isn't accurate if indeed it is an hour meter.......Never seen anything like it before. Any insight?

It is past 3 in the morning an i cant effin sleep...

Bill

DSC00008.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its an egr timer, tells you when to clean the cabron out of all that junk, when it gets so high in number it makes the dash light come on, i took mine off, open up the little black cylinder in , unplug it and chuck it. cleans things up on that side of the engine bay thats for sure

its an egr timer,

AKA: detector drive counter. Mid 70s motors had them later ones didn't. An EGR valve with carbon build up can hold the valve open slightly in effect causing a vacuum leak that will cause a poor idle quality.

Well now that makes sense. I thought perhaps it was something that kept track of time on the a/c compressor, since the old compressors you had to change the oil in regularly. I will be pitching it out I believe, but into a box to keep just in case it might be worth something someday!

Maybe they thought carbon would be a problem and later dropped it because it wasn't? '75- '77s had it but not after '78. The 'pre '78s had the exhaust manifold bolted to the bottom of the intake and used exhaust heat to help warm and vaporize the fuel. '78s and on used the hot water piped through the intake runners to do the same. Who knows.

• 2 years later...