tranny trouble

having some trouble with my 510 project. I got the car in PIECES, so bear with me. I have A tranny, but I have no idea which one it is, I was told it is the dogleg 5spd, and that it is the same length as the stock 4spd. thats problem one. problem two, I don't know if there is supposed to be a bushing between the tranny crossmember and the transmission itself. the crossmember bolt holes and tranny bolt holes do not line up so I'm thinking there should be something between them. the only info I could get off the tranny itself is a worn out sticker with a bar code and some numbers 362463408 and two sets of numbers stamped into it, 63A#1 stamped into the rear portion close to the shifter, and 63A stamped into the main body with the bellhousing. it is being attached to an L20b, no idea what it came out of. not sure what clutch/throwout bearing to use either.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

having some trouble with my 510 project. I got the car in PIECES, so bear with me. I have A tranny, but I have no idea which one it is, I was told it is the dogleg 5spd, and that it is the same length as the stock 4spd. thats problem one. problem two, I don't know if there is supposed to be a bushing between the tranny crossmember and the transmission itself. the crossmember bolt holes and tranny bolt holes do not line up so I'm thinking there should be something between them. the only info I could get off the tranny itself is a worn out sticker with a bar code and some numbers 362463408 and two sets of numbers stamped into it, 63A#1 stamped into the rear portion close to the shifter, and 63A stamped into the main body with the bellhousing. it is being attached to an L20b, no idea what it came out of. not sure what clutch/throwout bearing to use either.

63A would be a dogleg 5 spd. Likely for an L series but there were Z series doglegs. A good picture of the top of the tranny looking forward showing the bell would help. Yes there is likely a rubber isolater between tranny and cross member. Also the mount or member may need modding to make this work.

The clutch size depends on which flywheel is on this motor and nothing else... the transmission has nothing to do with this. Measure across the contact surface of the flywheel or the clutch disc if there is one already on it. A car L20B would usually be 200mm across and a truck L20B 225mm. Understand that after 3-4 decades many parts have or could have been swapped so measure them.

The housing that holds the release bearing is matched to the clutch/pressure plate size, In other words a 200mm clutch requires a different housing from a 225mm. The actual release bearings are basically the same size.

n

You can do this.

the car came with no clutch or flywheel. I got a flywheel for it, a 6 bolt to match my crank, motor is on a stand so I haven't actually put the flywheel up to it yet. I got a Spec flywheel number SN21A. it is 8 inches across, which comes out to 203mm, which I'm guessing is close enough to 200? so I just need to figure out what car/year it came out of to order the clutch kit from.

As for the tranny to crossmember, I guess I'll have to hit up the dealership for a parts breakdown diagram to figure that out.

About half way down this page: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22493-will-it-work/ datzenmike posted a dogleg pic, captioned "FS5W63A". The smooth bellhousing (no ribs) is the main characteristic, along with the 26 1/2" length. While the length is the same as a stock 4-speed, the rear mount where it bolts to the crossmember is a different length from the front of the tranny. You also have to mod the crossmember to get the rear of the tranny lowered a slight amount. I used one inch thick spacers between floor and crossmember to drop mine down. There are several different ways to get the crossmember lowered and the bolt holes in the right location. However, I'm too tired tonight to give you coherent ideas. My hope is some of the other guys will tell you the quick n easy way to hack a crossmember while I sleep tonight. One great feature of Ratsun - it tends to run day and night.

And SICK620, it's killing me I can't come up with a clever tranny/gay bar comment, but like I said, I'm really fading fast here. I'll leave that to the late shift guys too.

Len

Order a clutch for a '77 200sx, that will have the 8 inch disc you're looking for.

If you plan to upgrade the performance or want a clutch with a lot more grip, order the 200mm '67-'69 Roadster pressure plate Pt. # 30210 20111. Any 200mm disc will do, it's the pressure plate that does all the clamping. The Roadster unit has 200 pounds more clamping force than the next strongest 200mm pressure plate. The clutch pedal will feel stiffer and the master and or slave may be old and start leaking from the heavier pressure needed. Just sayin'.

I woke up this morning with this thought - if your tranny was in your 510, you may already have a modified crossmember, but depending on what the PO did to the crossmember will determine the rubber mount you need between the trans and crossmember. If you are able to take and post pics of your crossmember, that would be great. Also, was this trans actually installed in your car, and someone removed it for some reason, or was the PO just assembling the parts needed to do a 5-speed conversion? Was it a 4-speed car or an auto? Need more details, and pics if you can.

Len

So you do frequent the gay bar then? :D

no thats what its called "THE GAY BAR" its the happiest bar in town :D

I go in there and try to pick up ladys but there are not too many and the ones that are there have short spikey

hair and im not really into all that. :D