ebay coilovers? are they junk?

I'm planning on using coilovers on my 510 with 280zx struts and was planning on using the ground control units, then i found a set on ebay, thru the seller datsun parts llc. they're only $129 compared to GC $199. if anybody has used these or purchaced from this guy i'd like to know how you liked em. he says they come with 200lb springs, i'm worried that they might be too soft? the car will be mostly street driven. I'd love to save 70 bones if the quality isn't too bad.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a lot of dudes running 250+ lb. springs in the front are slammed and/or are just plain crazy to street-drive a race-stiff suspension setup....or maybe I'm just an whiny old dude (unless we're talkin VG30 or similarly heavy motor swap (how much does an SR with a huge turbo and FMIC weigh over an L-series?)...anyways, I know a lot of people running 8" 200lb. springs with non-shortened 280zx housings (tokicos or konis) and they're quite happy with a streetable 2" drop...(and yes, the GC parts are nice...you're also paying for Eibach springs too...so that might account for a bit more $)

good luck! if you buy the ebay stuff... post close-up picks of the parts!

I will be running GC coilovers on my VG dime and I will be using 8" Eibach springs, 200lbs. This car will be mostly a street car. I have been in 510s with 250 and 300 pound springs and I think they are too stiff for the street. I like my spine the way it is so I prefer the softer springs. I had 175 pound springs in the past and they were plenty stiff for an L series. I then installed an Olds 215 CI All Aluminum V8 in that same car and it still felt good but just a little soft.

It depends on how comfortable you like the ride.

As to the Datsun Parts, llc coilovers, I think they look like the cheapo Honda stuff that can be bought for $80 in other ebay auctions. He is probably buying it and then advertising it under Datsun and upping the price. His auctions also say that spring colors may vary so if you care about the spring color, you may not get what you want. Another thing is the way the collars lock. The ones from ground control have a bolt that tightens the collar to the tube. The ones on ebay have a jam nut that tightens against the spring support. Another thing, with GC you can choose your spring rate.

Go with the GC. The extra money will be worth it.

As to the Datsun Parts, llc coilovers, I think they look like the cheapo Honda stuff that can be bought for $80 in other ebay auctions. He is probably buying it and then advertising it under Datsun and upping the price. His auctions also say that spring colors may vary so if you care about the spring color, you may not get what you want. Another thing is the way the collars lock. The ones from ground control have a bolt that tightens the collar to the tube. The ones on ebay have a jam nut that tightens against the spring support. Another thing, with GC you can choose your spring rate.

Go with the GC. The extra money will be worth it.

That's exactly what he's doing. They are garbage and have a rubber spring hat. If you want a set of those just a kit for a nissan altima and save yourself even more money.

---->Here Cheap ones, will fit the same and you get a spare set of springs and sleeves. Metal spring hats to so even better.

Thanks for all the input everybody. I think i'm going to spend the extra $ and go with the groung control units. it sounds like they have a lot of happy customers, and i'm not in a possition to risk my cash on something i might not be happy with. i'm just always lookin to save a buck! :D

They are garbage and have a rubber spring hat.

will fit the same and you get a spare set of springs and sleeves. Metal spring hats to so even better.

the rubber hats are :poop:

is the altima a 2" ID?

i ran into this issue and is why i bought the cheap set, didnt need the spring hat ;)

• 4 weeks later...

on the topic of front coilovers, Any one know what MR2 struts are the right ones. I was trying to order them yesterday but couldn't for the life of me find them. (right being RIGHT for shortening 280zx front struts to fit then putting GC coils on.) Also I saw somewhere on here some one was using some sort of circular clamp instead of rewelding. What clamp was that?

on the topic of front coilovers, Any one know what MR2 struts are the right ones. I was trying to order them yesterday but couldn't for the life of me find them. (right being RIGHT for shortening 280zx front struts to fit then putting GC coils on.) Also I saw somewhere on here some one was using some sort of circular clamp instead of rewelding. What clamp was that?

First gen AW10/AW11 rears are common. Second gen SW20 fronts are even shorter. I think on both you need a different nut or shim spacer on the strut shaft for it to mesh correctly with camber plates, but someone should verify that for me :P I have the SW20 fronts which I'll install in about 300 years when I finish my 510 ;) They make for a pretty short strut - here are my s12 200sx strut housing shortened to fit the Tokico Illumina BZ3125 SW20 MR2 insert (strut housing is about 14 1/2" from the steering knuckle face to the top of the tube):

DSCF2315.jpg

Forgot to mention when I had my struts shortened by a machinist (Byron on the realm) he turned some spacers for them since he was doing some for himself at the time. Not sure what nuts you'd need, but a lot of people run the first gen rears so there must be something...

A great option for the rears is to run KYB AGX off 82-02 camero. Get a tube clamp and torque it down as a perch for the coilover sleeve of your choice, mount on whatever spring you want and boom you have yourself some rear coilovers.

From my experience any coilover sleeve setup works as long as they use good materials, you dont HAVE to get GC, altho it is the best option if you wana dish out the cash...

I have yet to shorten my front struts and run the MR2 inserts, thats my next upgrade tho :)

• 3 weeks later...