engine and tranny casting numbers

nt sure where this to post this but I was I just came across a great find my girlfreind told me that her grandpaw had a dutsun truck out on his farm somewhere, so I went to check it out and there is a 69-71 truck sitting in the weeds the cab and front clip are bet up and rusted out. but there are three manual trannys and two engines in the bed along with the engine and tranny mounted in the truck. I'm new to datsuns so i'm not sure how to id them. If anyone can tell me what casting numbers and where there located at that would be awesome.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am no Truck master but It should probably have an L motor in it and the casting for the block is just below the head in the back on the Right side next to the dip stick (passenger) Should look like this:

Car17.jpg

The head casting is also important and should be just above the block up front on the right (passenger) next to a spark plug like so:

(My number has been rubbed off)

Car18.jpg

Not sure about the Tranny's :unsure:

Likely a 521 and so would have an L series motor but after almost 40 years it could be an L16/18 or L20B by now. Too bad the motors were left outside in the weather, the trannys may have fared better. If from the 521the 4 speed isn't much use for any other Datsun without mods to the driveshaft.

There were wheels and tires covering the engines so im hopeing there not to bad and they were also laid over which if nothing else head up should be fine. yea the trannys had the flange on the tail shaft not the slip yoke. are the L16/18 heads the same as the L20 Thanks for the info.

L16 heads were numbers only castings, likely a 210 with smallest intake ports square exhaust ports and small valves. L18 and L20B were letter and number castings and generally had larger ports and valves. L18s were square exhaust while L20B were square, U-67 up to '78 and round, W-58 after.This is not meant to be a complete list and there were variations and many heads have been swapped over the years.

• 4 weeks later...