Bilsteins or Konis?

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which do prefer?

• Bilstein HD
    • Koni Red
    • Other?

So I'm trying to decide on which shocks I'm going to put in the back of my 610. I was originally going to go with Tokico Blues, but they no longer make a shock in the length I'm trying to get. I've been doing a little research, and trying to decide whether to go with Bilstein HD's, Koni Reds, or something else. I am going to be using my car as mostly a DD and a cruiser, with the occasional auto-x in mind. So mostly, the car will be a street car.

Has anybody had experience with either of these? Hopefully both? Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running Bilstien's right now in the 'goon, they're pretty good, however, if I had to buy right now I'd probably be trying the Illumina adjustables ....

Im a big fan of the Bilstiens and are self adjusting to a point...as far as the illuminas well they arent bad but they dont last that long I went through a set (Front and Rear) in one autocross season just my .02 cents

the Konis are a great shock and they are adjustable but only rebound is adjustable the compression stays the same. I would run the Koni if it were my car or I would save a little longer and get a set of rear coilovers... :D

again just my .02 cents

Clayton

I have old Koni reds that were on sale. As FJwagon said they are reblpund only adjustable( and you have to take the shock off to adjust them. I like them I adjusted mine a 1/4 turn right when I got them. If you adjust them to tight the spring wont go up to its sprung height let the spring do its thing and the shock is made to keep from over osciilating. it s ahappy medeuim. But Im not a shock expert. I assume the stronger the spring the tighter you want the shock.

In Austraila they have a Koni yellew that gas and ext adjustable.

Toyota GTs should be same as 510s and 610 and hear of Camero shocks now being used(have to find more infor)

koni reds are rebuildable but remeber most are new old stock and if left on the self I heard of gaskets drying out and leaking.

Rally cars like the gas shocks Like the old KYB Gas A just to they go back to height fater as they are hard to compress and push back UP

On my last 510 I was running Nissan Comp Spring and Koni Reds and it was stiff but not crazy stiff and the handling was excellent. On my MkIV Jetta I run Koni as well and love it. I have only installed Bilsteins on my Land Rover Discovery so that doesn't count cause it is a pig.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...