New Datsun, New Member

Hey everybody,

I just got a Datsun. 1200 coupe, 2-door. I paid a thousand; here in San Francisco bay area. I'm old school. I've had Datsun in the past: 75 pick up, regular cab, long bed, orange, B210. I've always wanted another Datsun pick up, 69 to 75, short bed, regular cab, clean and mostly, stock.

The body is fairly straight but it looks like the last owner tried to repair the dents it had and was doing his own bondo/body work and it looks messy in places. Then he took the rattle can and did spot painting all over the car. The interior is in bad shape. I already ripped out the seats and everything. I would like to get cheap black seat covers that fit good and tight. I ripped out all the old rug already; they were ruined. And I cleaned the mud off all the metal floor of the car. The trunk is very dirty. I'm cleaning all the mud off the trunk. What can I do here? I don't want to make the same mistake the previous owner did and rattle can the trunk flat black. I want to do this the best way possible for the little budget I have. The motor looks like a fairly stock motor. It runs pretty good. I have to keep a choke out a little bit though or else it will die. Overall, it is a fairly straight car and good shape with a little clean up and a little work. It's not something I would totally want to restore though, just keep it as a nice, clean 1200 to drive around.

Here in California, 75 and under is no smoggy. These cars are getting harder to find. So I had a chance so I jumped on this 1200 2-door coupe. I'm not mechanically inclined but Datsuns are my favorite car. Here are some pictures; maybe some of you can stir me in the right direction.

My goals for this car are to make this into a reliable car that looks legal and the cops won't pull me over for driving a rust bucket. I want to keep stock tires, no stickers, no dents and I want the interior to look good to very good.

When it comes to body work I don't have the patience or the skill to do the job I want to do. I'm hoping to find an out- of- work body guy who can work at their house or backyard. The goal for the body would be to have a white car with no dents or visible bad bondo body jobs. It doesn't have to be perfect. I'm thinking it doesn't have to be painted. Would it be possible to just primer it white, straighten both bumpers, make the interior halfway decent? All the glass is there and not broken. It could use a new headliner though. Is there inexpensive way to get that done?

My budget is $2k and I'm going to have to pay some labor. How would you do it? What are the things you would do first?

My dream car is a 1970- 1975 Datsun pick up, regular cab, short bed, super clean.

But now, I've seen some of these 1200 pick ups that are in Australia. Is it possible to buy one and have it shipped to California? 1975 or older. Anyway, here are some pictures of my new ride.

IMG_6245.jpg (38KB)

IMG_6245.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus, where's the internet high five at? It's a good time for that. BTW, nice Datsun.

Welcome again, enjoy your stay (cause I know you will), the beds are made and the toilets are clean. And we have an in-ground pool. But to use the pool, you have to become a Premium member. You know how you have regular gas? We have V-Power. Some Premium shit. $5 for six months. Come one in (Do I dare to say it?) the water is fine.

rolleyes.gif