Newb - 83 720

Joe B

Hello all!! Well I just purchased a 720 about a month ago for a whopping $500. Runs good but idles FAST once warmed up and steering is sloppy as can be, as expected it needed a little work. Plan is to get it close to stock as possible. I want to use it for hauling my bikes around. This thing is/was in rough shape. It appears it belonged to a local farm worker here as the mud and maintenance that was underneath shows this was a HARD working truck, that saw little love if any. I bought it from a kid that says he was into fixing cars but needed the money, title shown a different name so he just bought it about a month prior. This is a far cry from the 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 Limited I just turned in and the '06 Dodge MegaCab 4x4 Hemi I sold. I do like it a lot though as this truck has personality and mileage that the other two could not tough going downhill with the wind at their backs. LOL. No more payments are nice too!!

I hit it in stages and am working out all the safety issues first. I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions and seeking guidance from all of you along the way. So far this is what has been found and status:

Brakes - Parking brake did not work, rear wheel cylinder was leaking on driver side which looked like forever as it was caked with fluid a good 1/4" - 1/2" thick. Brake pads replaced front and rear, rear wheel cylinders replaced on both sides new fluid bled through system. All hardware cleaned and reinstalled.

Front wheels - mad wobble from front end and loud squealing noise. Replaced wheel bearings on both wheels - driver side was SHOT!! Added wheel stud to passenger side to replace broken stud and bought new acorn lug nuts since between the 12 lugs up front it was only using 8 of them. Replaced both upper ball joints. Lowers to go on this weekend as I have new tie rod assemblies, idler control arm and center-link on the way.

Rear Wheels - Added 4 new wheel studs and acorn nuts to complete wheel mounting. 3 WERE MISSING FROM ONE SIDE!!Amazing what some folks drive on our roads.

Leaked antifreeze - Replaced freeze plug to repair leak and flushed block with pressured running water to get debris out. Large chunks were sitting just inside freeze plug when we removed it. Also replaced upper and lower rad hoses and thermostat which was found to be stuck open. Overflow bottle was also cleaned as it looked like mud sediment on the bottom. Need to find a new stock one so looking for direction here. Source??

Oil leak - Found that I was loosing oil somewhere. No smoke out tail pipe but oil build up underneath. Once I removed about an honest 20# of oil soaked dirt from underneath the beast, I was able to determine the pan gasket had a leak. Replace pan gasket and cleaned out pan as it had about 1/2" of buildup inside the sump area. This attest to the toughness of this little truck and its hard life of 267,826 miles at time of purchase.

Vision - Windshield wipers barely worked and no washer fluid. Found a washer motor at junkyard and it worked after cleaning out spray head. Now I can see at night and in the early morning fog.

Fluids - Oil changed, antifreeze changed, brake fluid changed, Transmission changed - sure is hard to find GL-4!!!!! Rear end changed with Valvoline GL-5.

Tires - picked up a seat of Douglas 195/75/r14 so I can have 4 matching tires, with thread even.

Misc: Added antenna to get radio reception, found 4 center caps and installed for that complete wheel look. Found a slider rear window and replaced stock fixed glass - nice to have since this beast has no A/C or power anything.

Future work scheduled:

Carb from junkyard to be cleaned and installed this week.

Steering/front suspension replacement - This weekend

Reupholster bench seat - Next 1-2 weeks

Replace seat belts - Next 1-2 weeks

Possible bed replacement - This weekend?

Body work - Have hole on passenger floor board behind tire. Front fenders to be replaced, corner lights replaced at that time. Bed is seriously rusted and found a clean bed with no tailgate. My tailgate is "ok" minus a few dents. Plan is to paint it the same brown color and keep the Datsun sticker on the tailgate as is.

Door panels - Build some from thicker material to install sound system.

Sounds - base around an old favorite amp of mine, Punch 45 running in mixed mode, stereo to front and mono to sub. May use the Punch 450 but might be too much for this small cab.

Need help:

Any other front bumper options out there?

Head unit install suggestions? Pretty shallow area to work with and I do not like it sticking out too far? May make glove box plate and mount it there as the door is broke anyway.

Gauges- what to use for monitoring engine? I want to monitor oil pressure, voltage, and RPM's minimally. May also look at water temp.

Window rattling - where can I get the felt that is used as a guide on the front channel? Other ideas?

Few pics from a bout a week after purchase:

0513101805a.jpg

0513101806a.jpg

0513101805d.jpg

0513101806b.jpg

0513101805b.jpg

0513101805c.jpg

0513101806c.jpg

0513101806d.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the valve lash but before that while engine is cold loosen each head bolt one at a time (no particular order) and re torque to spec 60 ft lbs. This is Nissan's recommendation to prevent the gasket from blowing and should be done at each tune up. The Z24 is notorious for blowing the head gasket every 100K miles. Keep an eye open for the clock and tach option missing in your dash, it really dresses it up. If you find a tach, look near the coils for the tach resister on the harness hidden under all the tape. Looks like this:

720stuffLarge2.jpg

Check the valve lash but before that while engine is cold loosen each head bolt one at a time (no particular order) and re torque to spec 60 ft lbs. This is Nissan's recommendation to prevent the gasket from blowing and should be done at each tune up. The Z24 is notorious for blowing the head gasket every 100K miles. Keep an eye open for the clock and tach option missing in your dash, it really dresses it up. If you find a tach, look near the coils for the tach resister on the harness hidden under all the tape. Looks like this:

720stuffLarge2.jpg

Thanks Mike, I was looking for that to tie into for my remote start, now to find a door popper for the throttle... :hmm:

720stuffLarge2.jpg

i have one of those somewhere. i think its in my wood storage box somewhere

Thanks already!! I found an instrument panel from an '84, that should fit correct?

Why the valve lash check if engine is running strong? Does that cause the idling symptoms I am experiencing or is just mandatory/routine Datsun maintenance? What are the symptoms of the loose valves?

As for the tach resistor plug, that would be for the tachometer correct? Thrown off a little by the following post saying something about the door popper?

This is a long road but I hope to be done with most of it by summers end.

'84 should fit fine.

Loose valves are not the problem... thry're just noisy. Tight valves ARE a problem! The valves are cooled by making contact with the seat. If clearance is gone or over tight they will hold the valve open and it will mis fire, run rough or burn the valve. Always good to check on a motor that you have never looked at before. It will often get rid of symtoms that you may have later.

I will make it a point to try and get under the valve cover while I am at the shop tomorrow. Left my truck on the rack tonight as I need to finish the tie rod assemblies, center link and idler arm replacement as well as install new sway bar bushings. Today was front lower ball joints as well as shocks.

Also, have a newly acquired junkyard carb from last weekend that looks as if it was recently rebuilt, does not look too bad for $30 and hope it solves my racing idle once warmed up issue. Choke seems to work on it so far.

Here is how she rides today. Most noticeable from first set of pictures are all lugs nuts are present, sliding rear window installed and center caps from junkyard donor. I can not believe how nice the steering and suspension are now.

Think I may tackle some body work at the shop this week and try my hand at cutting out the rust and welding in new metal on the truck bed. Just can not seem to make it down to San Diego to pick up the bed i located down there for $100.

Also eyeballing some bucket seats out of a 300z, does any one know if they would fit? $80 for those or $300 to redo my bench seat and reweld the rod across the back? I like the bench, but like that the buckets have head padding to prevent my head from smashing the back window in an accident or some festive off-roading. :)

Center caps, rear slider, new tires, lug nuts and Ride Red Sticker

CIMG4589.jpg

Need dash help, do you think one of those caps will cover this mess?

CIMG4600.jpg

Any one have a tan mirror laying around? Got this blue one from the junkyard for the time being. May install a wink mirror

CIMG4599.jpg

Got the glove box door off. May install a plate and put stereo there so I can place gauges in stereo slot. Hole in floor just under speaker and bottom of wheel well. Seems to be common on all the 720's I have seen so far.

CIMG4598.jpg

Came with a nice stereo with blown speakers in the footwells. Install can be better and Kenwood going in soon

CIMG4597.jpg

Original door on passenger side

CIMG4598.jpg

Replaced door on drivers side

CIMG4594.jpg

Looks real close to my 84. I would say my 84 is/was in better shape for 700 bucks. I hit a deer and took the front grill and such from my 81. Now the hood does not close right and paint is starting to peel. But was a 0 dollar fix. I want to take the sliding glass from my 81 but need to get a new seal. I also want the tach from the 81 to put in my 84. It is the same brown as yours. Mine came with a matching camper top and a bed mat. Nice to see yours getting fixed up. My in used and beat on like a work truck and seen 1000lbs several times in the back. I would like a set of wheels like you got on your truck though but hard to find them for a cheap as i want to pay.

Nice truck.

Thanks for the kind words. I am up in the air as to how nice I want to fix her as I will be using her and do not want it to the point I am worried about scratching her or anything. Same color paint all around with rust removed and small dents would be okay for me in the end.

On another note, does anyone know if bucket seats from a 95-99 Sentra should fit right in? Found some locally for $100 and that may be better than reupholstering my bench seat in the long run.

Thanks for the kind words. I am up in the air as to how nice I want to fix her as I will be using her and do not want it to the point I am worried about scratching her or anything. Same color paint all around with rust removed and small dents would be okay for me in the end.

On another note, does anyone know if bucket seats from a 95-99 Sentra should fit right in? Found some locally for $100 and that may be better than reupholstering my bench seat in the long run.

That is 1 nasty looking dash you have there.......... :D

I have a shit load of 720 parts.....including a tan or black dash in very good shape. :thumbup:

Problem is shipping..........smaller items are not too bad....BUT..... the dash is over 52 inches in length....not good.

Around 400 bucks to ship to the States.

Ouch.

Also....those seats won't be a direct bolt in..?...will need some fabing.

I think the closet match/fit would be the Mazda 626, which I heard will take the least amount of work.

Wow!! Some collection of gauges/consoles you have there. What you want for one of those shipped to SoCal? 93030 zipcode. You would not happen to have the rubber shift boot and a stock shift knob as well would you?

Yep, it is one UGLY dash. Even the dashmat does not want to lie on it. LOL

Since you have a 2wd, you would need one of the longer consoles in the pic above. The black or blue one.

A box 22x12x9 @ 5lbs + - shipped to Cali is approximately 30 bucks.

Probably 2 expensive already....eh? :D

I believe the shifter knob for the 83 with the 30+ inch tranie has a different thread size than the 26"? But, I should have 1 somewhere. Also have the rubber (floor) boot. The boots in the consoles are MIA or in pretty bad shape....one would have to locate and or fab up another.

Emailed you with my number. That is not too bad for shipping. I can always rattle can paint them to match. Besides I may be going black with tan accents on my interior anyways.

Just got quoted $375 to fix my seat with two tone so thinking black edges and center and tan inserts where my back would rest. Door panels will be made two tone as well with a thicker lower section to mount some speakers to. Then it is just to figure out the dash and floor.

Emailed you with my number. That is not too bad for shipping. I can always rattle can paint them to match. Besides I may be going black with tan accents on my interior anyways.

Just got quoted $375 to fix my seat with two tone so thinking black edges and center and tan inserts where my back would rest. Door panels will be made two tone as well with a thicker lower section to mount some speakers to. Then it is just to figure out the dash and floor.

Good price on the seat fix.......the only local guy here quoted me 1000 bucks to repair/'NOS' my 84 4x4 bench seat....WTF!

Think I might keep it and make a trip to the big 'city' and get it reupholstered.....instead of installing some Pulsar buckets that I recently acquired.

The only issue is the lower drivers seat.....250 just to repair that.... :o

Anywho.....Let me know what you need......I can put some extra parts in that box if you want. I'll give you a good deal.

sealick@mercuryspeed.com

Doug

Emailed you.

I have another local quote of $300 but this last place is well recommended for auto work plus they say they can turn it in a day as well as do my door panels when ready for a grand total of $500.

Before that though I need to install an accelerator pump and valve oil seals.

A couple of questions

Z24 with 5 speed...correct?

I have some shifter knobs....but they are of various sizes.... have to measure yours(at the threads)

Are the front lenses removable.....or are they part of the assembly?

3 screws to mount the lens?

The blue console is in better shape than the other black one I have.

Matching tray.

Gauges with harness....you will need a 2 wire oil pressure sending unit.

tac resister

Tac and clock in cluster.

Temporary vinyl shifter boot and clips....freebie.... :rolleyes:

Tan glove box door....stickers extra.... :lol:

Rubber tranie floor boot.....no sure how to separate from shifter without fucking it up.

2-3 screw lenses...., 1 has a small crack in center....would just put some clear silicone on backside.

parts.jpg

A couple of questions

Z24 with 5 speed...correct?

I have some shifter knobs....but they are of various sizes.... have to measure yours(at the threads)

Are the front lenses removable.....or are they part of the assembly?

3 screws to mount the lens?

Just got off work.

Z24 with 5 speed is correct.

Approx. 1" x .25"

Front lenses are part of the assembly.

Only two screws to mount.

The blue console is in better shape than the other black one I have.

Matching tray.

Gauges with harness....you will need a 2 wire oil pressure sending unit.

tac resister

Tac and clock in cluster.

Temporary vinyl shifter boot and clips....freebie.... :rolleyes:

Tan glove box door....stickers extra.... :lol:

Rubber tranie floor boot.....no sure how to separate from shifter without fucking it up.

2-3 screw lenses...., 1 has a small crack in center....would just put some clear silicone on backside.

parts.jpg

Shoot me the price. Does not look like the lenses will work. Do you have the trim that goes around the gauge cluster? Mine was held on with gum and now it squeeks since I removed the gum. LOL

Just ordered the oil pressure switch from Rock auto but can not find the tac resistor anywhere. Ideas or suggestions?

Shoot me the price. Does not look like the lenses will work. Do you have the trim that goes around the gauge cluster? Mine was held on with gum and now it squeeks since I removed the gum. LOL

Just ordered the oil pressure switch from Rock auto but can not find the tac resistor anywhere. Ideas or suggestions?

The tac resistor is in the above pic....center of my noose :P with the shifter knobs.

I have the trim for the cluster