My 5 Yr Project Datsun 510

Hello everyone, I am new here, but not to the 510 scene.

I've lurked around and finally post something.

I'm a member from other 510 forums as well but decide this site has the most traffic and perhaps I will get better help.

Anyway, enough for the introduction.... I have a 1970 510 I've been working on for about 5 years now.

It's my so-called never ending project. At a point I was going to give up on it lol...

Here's what I have... I'm very close finishing it... but pics will do the talking.

I'd like to finish this project with all of you and would need your help to get it done.

I started with this... don't mind the front wheels on backward, it's the guys at the tire shop :)

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

Then my head gasket was on it's way out. Took it to a buddy of mine by the name of Bill Breedlove (some of you may know him)

He took my car in and replace the head gasket and adjusted the valves. A week later it wouldn't start. It just cranks but does not fire up.

I did everything in the book to see what the problem was.... no success. I decided to just take it apart and look.

I found a bolt stuck in one of the valve! I assume Breedlove lost it 'somewhere' lol.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm back!

anyhow, fast forward to this year...

this is where i'm at now.

Picture103.jpg

Picture105.jpg

Picture101.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Picture095.jpg

^^ that intake pipe is temporary only. will be replace by a BOV. I needed it there for start up and testing only.

Picture071.jpg

Fuel: warlboro hi flow inline pump and carter low pres. pump. Nissan Z32 Fuel filter and surge tank.

Picture067.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture072.jpg

if you see something not right, please let me know or if you have a better way of doing it. Thanks!

More to come.

Well, I don't know how anyone would have any idea really, but "Batt +" YELLOW and "Switched +" RED are normally car head unit (HU)/stereo power colors. Yellow is standby power to the HU (maintain presets, settings) and red is the ignition switched power to the HU. Looks like they just tied it in near the ECU.

^^ at first i thought it was for the fuel pump too, but there was no indication of any kind.

so if i can't figure it out by the time i get to fire it up, i'm just going to bypass that.

anyway, does anyone know or if anyone in here with SR swap using the stock 510 harness along with the SR harness?

thats what i'm doing now for all my lights, wipers, signals, side markers, etc.

i've seen other swap using relay board like this one:

68299e63.jpg

or even these

wiringboutdone-1.jpg

^^ these would look nice and clean.

Well, I don't know how anyone would have any idea really, but "Batt +" YELLOW and "Switched +" RED are normally car head unit (HU)/stereo power colors. Yellow is standby power to the HU (maintain presets, settings) and red is the ignition switched power to the HU. Looks like they just tied it in near the ECU.

actually, it's on opposite ends, just that the harness is bunched up.

^^ reading that thread now...

yes i have that diagram. it's what i'm going off on... and i believe there was a similar diagram BUT with only 2 relay instead of 3.

i'm going with this current one with the 3 relays though.

there were a few color wirings (on diagram) that did not match what i have on my wire harness huh.gif

ok i just read icehouse says 8 wires and it's done.. hmm.... it's the electrical that i'm stomped with... everything else is sourced all over the internet.

where's icehouse? i need help wiring biggrin.gif

Anyone know what this is? It's the GREEN RELAY.

Don't know to what?

It's a modified harness by DGR as well.

DSC02392.jpg

close up

Picture098.jpg

any help would be great.

ok, i'm back!

been looking thru this site and found out what the GREEN RELAY is.

it has 4 wires:

2 black w/ white stripe ??

1 black w/ pink stripe (fuel pump relay control)

1 black w/ yellow stripe (12v power from fuel pump)

nex to that is a green wire w/ yellow stripe (neutral safety switch, according to ratsun) BUT it was labeled start signal?

so now, what does all this means? i assume all i need to do was hook up the wires of the +switch and +battery and +start signal?

any help would be appreciated.

which wire do i tap into the 510 harness?

i do see a brown/orange wire near the ecu plugs and also saw a few wires from the 510 harness used for the starter, alternator and battery.

if you have any visual (pics) please post them up. it will help greatly as i'm more of a visual person :)

Don't have any pics, there is a wire on the 510 harness that signals the starter you keep that wire I think its black with white or yellow stripe. Then on the sr harness there should be a plug that is right next to the ecu plug you take the orange wire oit of there and tap it into the 510 starter signal wireI