Auto to manual conversion

Currently I have a 3speed B&W auto tranny. 3 speeds is not enough. Are there any 5 speed trannys I can swap in without driveshaft issues, like not shortening it? Had a hard time finding any answers on the search if it was even there.

Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can i have your automatic when you are done swapping them? Free?

For a direct swap no drive line changes, get an L series dogleg out of a 200sx. You will need to install a different pedal assembly that has the clutch pedal, along with the clutch fluid reservoir, slave cylinder, and of course clutch, flywheel etc...

The reason i ask if i can have the B&W setup, i have a 71 goon that was originally a B&W automatic, and it still has the logo on the hatch. id take the transmission, flext plate, linkage etc... people usually just throw them to the scrappers when finished.

Look for a 200SX 78 & 79. they have the dogleg 5 speed. IIRC the short 5 speed out of a 720 will work to if you swap the bell housing. I dont have any spare transmissions :\

Damn Izzo! You sound like........................ melaugh.gif

The 720 did come with two different length 5 speeds. One is about 26" long and should fit the 510 without drive shaft shortening. As Izzo said, you will need an L series front case half and swap it on to make it work. A bit of work but a one of a kind tranny and newer and stronger than the 200sx dogleg. The dogleg was also available as a 5 speed option on the '78-'79 A10 with L20B engine too.

Damn Izzo! You sound like........................ melaugh.gif

The 720 did come with two different length 5 speeds. One is about 26" long and should fit the 510 without drive shaft shortening. As Izzo said, you will need an L series front case half and swap it on to make it work. A bit of work but a one of a kind tranny and newer and stronger than the 200sx dogleg. The dogleg was also available as a 5 speed option on the '78-'79 A10 with L20B engine too.

:rofl:

Bro I have an auto tranny you can have for $1. smile.gif

Ha! I might just take you up on that. The reason i wanted the B&W auto trans, is thats what my car came from factory with. My hatch still has the B&W Full Automatic trim on it :D

• 5 months later...

Got myself the dogleg. Couple of things now.

1) My current flywheel used with the auto will work with the 5speed?

2) Flywheel is a 5 bolt and is 200mm?

Gonna get a clutch kit from RockAuto as well as the the cylinders release bearing and pilot bushing.

Need to make a hardline and find a softline to use.

This is the tranny:

Dogleg5.jpg

I need a shifter for it: What vehicle might I find this from? (Besides the obvious 200sx)

SNC16146.JPG

And finally, what goes here? Only thing that really makes me scratch my head.

SNC16150.JPG

One other thing. I see that Izzo said I need a new bracket for the pedals, but I am not quite sure on that. I looked at my car and it appears that it has the bracket itself with all the proper holes everywhere. I have the pedals:

SNC16100.JPG

ooooh I might have soft lines, but probably better to get new ones...

So what do I need for the pedals? From the picture below it looks like I need a spring to return the pedal, and do I really need any of that circuitry? Looks like it is just for being safe.

parts4sale054.jpg

No, the flex plate from the auto will not work with the 5 speed. If you have an l16/l18 you will need a 5 bolt flywheel. make sure you measure the flywheel and find out what size it is, and order the appropriate clutch. Trucks were 225, cars were 200 IIRC.

The trans is missing the fork, and throw out collar. The clutch kit may come with the collar. you will need to find a fork off someone.

Missing the throw out bearing to.

The clutch kit will come with a new bearing though.

Some people call it a collar, some call it a bearing. Same thing, just the round deal that goes on the fork ya? thats what i was referring to :D

The round deal on the bottom left.

27905.jpg

I take it the fork is specific to the tranny? No fun.

That i dont know

Guest kamakazi620

So do people who do this swap use the 4 speed fork? Or do they use the 5speed fork?

The 5 speed fork would mean that a throw out bearing that is in a kit for a L16 200mm would not work.

I've got a 510 FLYWHEEL and possiably a 4 speed fork

The stock 510 arm should work but it has a hole in it for the push rod. You will need the slave with the threaded push rod with adjustment nut. It's the bottom one of the two slaves in the third picture.

The '73 and on 610/710 and A10 use the exact same arm as the dogleg so find one of those. It's the top one of the two slaves in the third picture.

Guest kamakazi620

Sweet, well I will pm you next time Im going to be in town, then give you call when I actually am. What times work best for you? Im completely free in 2 weeks

Anytime 'cept mon and friday evenings i gots band pratice

• 3 weeks later...

Getting really close to having all the parts now.

Next question, is there any electrical work I need to do?

Obviously hook up the speed-o-cable, and reverse lights.

Do I need to do away with the kick-down switch and bridge the wires or leave them open?

Anything I should be pulling out of the harness,adding to, bridging, shorting, leaving open?

I do have a wiring diagram and I see a few (A/T only) and (M/T only)