triple s engine

justin 620

ok, so my original l20b from my 79 620 is starting to crap out, and i need to either re-build it, or try to find a new motor.

which leads me to my topic, i heard from a friend about an engine called a "triple s" which many of you should know about, i need to know where i could find one and how much it would cost.

cause i've been wanting to switch to a more powerful motor for a long time...

oh, and if you have any ideas on how i could make the engine i have now more powerful for not so much, i just need a good strong engine for not so much money, being a 16 year old kid an all... ha

thanks a lot!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 An SSS is nothing special. Not to mention extremely rare. And to take full advantage of that head/engine, plan on spending at least $2000-$4000 on the motor alone. That's if you can find someone to sell you an SSS head for dirt cheap, which won't happen.

Rebuild the 20B, it will provide all the power you need with a better set of carbs. SUs would be a fine choice.

• Like 1

A higher compression head, either an A87 or W53 peanut style head, and some SU carburetors will give you an effective SSS clone. I say rebuild the L20B, the L16 or L18 would have been the more 'period correct' SSS motor, but you have the L20B at your disposal. Get it rebuilt, have everything checked, and build a little screamer for your truck :thumbup:

• Like 1

Just rebuild the motor you have, throw a good head on there and some dual SU's.

ok, what are "SU" carbs? i'm not too good at names and such, i know the mechanics of an engine, but i'm still trying to learn more about them, any help anybody could give would be well appreciated!