510 signal issue, now brake light issue.

I spliced into the brake lights on accident trying to hook up manual blinkers. (I think the turn signal switch is busted.) upon figuring this out, I hooked back up the brake lights but the brakes now don't work.

so..... the switch is working and getting power. for some reason, the wire that was there to the back of the lights wont trip the brakes.

running a jumper wire to the back brake light from the switch works. if thats now the case, can I just simply run a new wire from the brake light switch, back to the brake lights and call it a day? or is there something that will be an issue?

I think the issue might be the turn signal switch, as the emergency flashers do work.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the wire that I'm assuming is the brake light wire is hooked up to the switch, I tested the switch with a test light and it works. so if I put the multimeter on ohms, I should expect no ohms = no resistance?

what would be the easiest fix for this situation, brake lights wise?

thanks.

If you have power at the switch, one side will have 12volts,push the pedal and 12volts will be at the other side cause it just passed thru. If you have that then the switch is good.

then disconnect the side where the power just passed thru with the switch engaged. I will assume you have to trace the wire back or find the color code then use a OHm meter and go to the bulbs and trace there. Maybe both bulbs are burnt out as I assume they are the 1157 dual element kind. Or use the colt meter and hook the switch back up and see if 12volt at the bulb side.

if this is a wagon let me know. I heard there is a C clip splice near the fuse box where they corrode (this could be just the regular lights)(ichouse told me about this one)

was a seat or soemthing installed that could have smashed a wire(usually a short to ground when this happens)

its a 2 door sedan. a few wires might have been pushed around (besides the splice that i did into green with white stripe. I havent soldered the green with whites back together for a solid wire (theyre twisted together right now) but im assuming that probably wont fix the issue.

the splices were done at the bulb wiring area ( I should have disconnected the bullet connectors instead (d'oh)

but anyways is there any danger in running one new wire back and soldering it to the green with white in the trunk, if I can't find where it may be broken?

but anyways is there any danger in running one new wire back and soldering it to the green with white in the trunk, if I can't find where it may be broken?

I guess not, but half the fun is finding it and showing us you "the Man"

just make sure your brake lights work with turn signal at the same time. If its OK then do it.

I run no carpet in my car so I would unpeel the tape all the way back. or start wear there is a wear in/on the tape where it could be broken

I guess not, but half the fun is finding it and showing us you "the Man"

just make sure your brake lights work with turn signal at the same time. If its OK then do it.

I run no carpet in my car so I would unpeel the tape all the way back. or start wear there is a wear in/on the tape where it could be broken

well the tail lights were originally working, but he was missing a hazard switch, which I hooked up from my car and the flashers went off, but even with that hooked up, the signals didnt work. maybe its the signal switch mounted on the steering column that is bad?

maybe its the signal switch mounted on the steering column that is bad?

Could be, so you need to confirm/deny. My right turn signal wasn't working in the 411. The lamp bodies and wiring were funked out, so took 'em apart, shined up the contacts, resoldered one broken wire. Lamps worked on bench, but not in car. WTF????

Finally bypassed the turn signal switch on the steering....voila! Turn signals.

Disassembled and cleaned the turn signal switch. Took two tries, but now working muy bueno.

Pete

the turn signal thing on the steering column looks like it needs the wheel to be taken off to remove it?

I'm gonna have him remove his and then I'll plug it into my car and test it out.

Correct. Well, mine did.