looking for steering box assembly

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The steering box and column are one piece.

wht620 what's the problem with the one you have???

the front end is been replaced compleatly brand new,shocks,tide rods,bushins,etc... im using 18'' titan wheels with 225/40/18 in the front & 245/40/18 in the rear,the steering box is been adjusted to the max & i still having quite a bit of play.

Alignment is been done as well,is just when i move to a different lane in the high way it has the tendency to hydroplane,(like going out of my control)i dont know if it is because of the tires? too wide. It should still feel tider anyway? w/new suspenssion.

the only thing to be replace or to try is a different steering box.

If there is play in the steering wheel it can be adjusted out. The boxes can even be rebuilt. Most likely, if your truck has never been hit in the front, the box is good and only needs the play taken out of it. Hydroplaning has nothing to do with the box I believe. It has to do with the tires not being able to evacuate the water from under it. It's worse with lighter vehicles btw.

Paul

2eDeYe' date='08 June 2010 - 08:44 AM' timestamp='1276008283' post='312316']

Did you replace the idler arm? 99% of the time this is the cause of steering play and wandering.

idler arm is been replaced.

o Paul i have adjuted the steering box already,what i mean to say,about hydroplane is kindad similar but in dry weather steering? I guess i shoul try different tires and wheels too.

I think you said it was aligned, but was it at a good shop? Point the wheels ahead on level surface and view it from about 50 feet away. Are the tires turned in slightly and are they tilted in or out at the top? You don't say but did you lower it. This will throw the suspension totally out of whack.

Is there excessive steering wheel travel before the truck begins to turn? To keep going in a straight line is there lots of side to side wheel turning?

If YES look under at steering components and have someone turn the wheel back and forth through the sloppy loose ares.Is the pitman on the box moving or not.

If the arm is moving then there is play somewhere else in the steering system.

If the arm isn't moving then you have too much play in the box. Up to a point some or most can be adjusted out.

If every thing looks tight then your alignment, a suspension component or tires are at fault.

What year is the truck i know there are some change in idler arms my sons is a 77 and my truck is 78 his has drum brakes and my truck has disk brakes so there some changes in steering comp.

The only thing that may be different is the outer tie rods. When you get new outer tie rods they list the same ones for both trucks because they are adjustable. The stock ones are not.

The center link, idler arm and steering box are the same. The one from the 78 would work.

Checked your wheel bearings and kingpins?

Edit: Those Titans are a bit grabby in the grooves on the freeway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.