Project: Diamond in the Rough

Cruzn620

I have been on this board for a bit now, and still haven't put up a project thread, or any pics of my truck...so i thought i would start. I picked up the truck on labor day 2005 with a leaky head gasket. I drove it around a couple of times until it whistled like a tea kettle. I thought i knew enough about it, so i tore it down. I had the head all gone through, new seats, replaced 1 bent valve, had it fluxed and the deck checked and put it back together. it didnt run, and i eventually gave up on it and let it sit for a year. I just got back to work on it around august, and found a staple in one of the exhaust valve seats. after that...motor ran. I have a grand total of 13 miles on the truck since i got it running again because right now...i have no brakes. I replaced the brake hoses last week, ordered rear wheel cylinders this morning, and i may be buying a new master cylinder this week also. I have replaced most of the hoses in the engine bay, bought a new water pump, radiator, rebuilt the crappy hitachi carb, and i turned the radio on. I am going to try to remember to take my camera with me, so i can post revision pictures! when finished, this truck will be bagged, body dropped, suicided, shaved, i am building a turbo KA motor for the truck that will be capable of 350hp at the wheels, it till be right hand drive, full sheet metal interior, wood floors, many body mods (SHAVED HOOKS!!) and i am really really hoping to get a feature in a magazine with it. I am OCD by nature (mechanical drafter) so i am going to be very detail oriented with my build up. However, for now, i am just trying to get it to "running" condition, where i can hop in it and go. I am going to save the full frame off resto for when i get my garage built (hopefully springtime 08) so i will use this thread to post my pictures of how i am getting it to daily driver condition. The wildest thing i am going to do to it any time soon will be my custom carburetor set up that i am still designing for it. other than that, over the winter i am going to fix the brakes, get it running well and dependable, lower the truck, install my 17" chevy wheels, upgrade the alternator, lighting, stereo, install my bucket seats, give the truck a thorough degreasing, then spray bomb it army green. when the shop is constructed...it will come down to the frame, be acid dipped, then the cool stuff will start happening. will have pics up soon!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, you'll know when im ready to rip this thing apart because im going to post lots of pics on here of my shop that i am building. when that shop is done...let the destruction begin! although mate, if you came over here we would probably just sit at the bar and drink and watch you pick up all the women instead of working on my truck...hahahhaha. i hope you enjoyed the pics of the floor, i was kicking ass till i ripped the rest of the carpet out and found more than a little rust!

we have already built an SFBD dakota and blazer, so its not a real big deal. honestly, i would rather make new frame rails than raise the floor up. it doesnt help that im a bit over average height, i need all the leg room i can get. also...i am building a false floor, so that will take up more leg room. reason for the false floor will be discussed at a later date...LOL on the bed though, it will be traditional body dropped too, so i can keep a flat bed floor. i bet my bed will be like 6" deep! LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

quick update (yeah, no pics...sorry!!) i worked on my drums for a second until i figured out i had no clue what i was doing AND my manual was bring vague...but i ripped off all the rusted parts of the exhaust (from the muffler to the rear of the truck) then i removed the ugly bumper. i was surprised, the "stock" license plate holder that just drops down, it was all still intact. yeah, so i forgot my camera, but i forgot a lot of things...like my cell phone too this weekend.

Isnt there a full body dropped,shaved suicide door, custom dash... 620 xcab in the area of the country...it was in Mini truckin a few issues back in the underconstruction section.. it was primerd baby blue...without going to dig up the mag I want to say it was Tennesee or Kentucky..anyways...best of luck with the build up..I am a 620 freak and I love to see them all custom...so remember to drop a few pics along the build up...

620xcb2.jpg

yeah, that truck is really close to me in tennessee, but the last i heard, the guy was selling it to build something else. im not joking, i went through a crisis when that truck showed up in MT because he pretty much did everything i was going to do...and he beat me to it. but i have SEVERAL tricks up my sleeve, and that truck as far as i know, never got completed.

• 3 weeks later...

alright, update!!! i have pics of the truck after i removed the bumper, how trashed the front bumper and valance are, and how bad the floor is. i sure wish i had some good news, but no such luck so far. after fighting with the brakes all weekend, im pretty sure im going to go buy a hand held brake bleeder, then changed out the master cylinder. battery was dead again too. right now i can't win for losing, but im not giving up!!!

Bumper removed (much better!!)

20080106image0007ao5.jpg

Yes...my Bumper and Valance are trashed...find me a new one!

20080106image0006bs7.jpg

Passenger's Side Floor (well...passengers for now...hahahaha)

20080106image0009cx9.jpg

Driver's Floor (one day..will be the passengers!)

20080106image0010da3.jpg

The L20 Powerhouse!!!

20080106image0011ia2.jpg

20080106image0012xg9.jpg