Exhaust manifold round/square ports.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my only question is, wouldn't using the square on a round create an obstruction for the flow of the exhaust?

Is there any advantage of using the square port exhaust over the round? Is it just a matter of better flow? or any extra torque by using a Y-pipe?

no, round into square is fine. It will allow free flow. Square into round, the 4 corners in the square are being "blocked" if you will creating resistance since the hole is rounded.

hmm. Well I have both available to me. I kind of like the standard square port.. Although now I need to find some one who has a spare 510 y-pipe.

Thanks everyone for the variety of information. I'll explain why I asked the original question. Maybe someone can learn from my ongoing saga. I got stuck in my L20B rebuild trying to decide on pistons, rods, CR calculations, other decisions. The city here was making noises about enforcing the junk car ordinance, so I got paranoid, and wanted to get my 510 running soonest. I bought a used complete L20B for $85 - manifolds and carb on it, just drop it in and I'd be running. It hasn't been quite that quick and easy (what ever is?). The engine is late enough to have round port exhaust, and I could use the manifold by changing the pipe on the car. But one of the three studs in the manifold where it bolts to the pipe is broken. I've taken the manifold off, but have my doubts about getting the broken stud out. At this point, it seems easiest to use on of my 3 or 4 square port manifolds that will bolt up to the pipe already in the 510. It sounds like I may be able to do that, at least to get by for awhile.

The really exiting news - I haven't been crazy buying up elephant oil caps at Pull n Save. I suspected they have magical properties, but wasn't sure. I may hang a second one from the rear view mirror, for extra magic elephant power. Now if I can find some of that Elephant beer, do I add it to the oil like you do ATF when you want to clean stuck lifters? Or in the gas, or in the mechanic, or some in all three locations?

Len