620 newb on the scene!

So, I've been lurking around this forum and some other places lately as I've been deciding whether or not to buy a 620. I did indeed buy one a few days ago...so I suppose the next step is to join the forum I've been gathering all of my information from and introduce myself! haha.. My name is Matt. I just got a '79 620 in reasonable shape. It needs some work, as I feel most of them do, but not nearly as much as some others I have seen... I test drove about 8 of them in the past month here in Los Angeles and this one was in the best shape of any I saw (well except for the FIRST one i looked at.....but it's a sensitive subject... I'd rather not talk about the one that i missed a chance on :P)

Anyway my goal is to make it look like so... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/Datsun_620_truck.jpg

Along the way I'd love to become an active member of the forum in both asking and answering questions.

I know a "little" bit about cars but in general this project is meant to be a self driven class in basic carbureted automotive work, and simple restoration know-how.

My automotive background is in jetskis, which are INCREDIBLY simple compared to cars O.o.

So far I already have a bunch of questions! haha but I'm going to let them wait a bit as I get to know and search the forum to make sure I'm not being a nuisance with them.

But honestly... if ANYONE has a tip on getting the oil pan off without pulling off the steering crossrod, i'd love the advice.... I'm trying to figure out that one tomorrow :P

If i get frustrated enough perhaps I'll make a post, but for now... greetings Ratsun! I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of each other in the next few months! :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cool, I appreciate that. I guess I'm going to autozone to get a ball joint remover.... I wasn't planning on adjusting the alignment yet since it appears fine, but can you pop a ball joint back in after you pop it out or should i just buy a new one? I don't think it's very old or bad, just in the way :P

no you should be fine, when I took it off I was able to reinstall it no problem. I always pop it on the drivers side. you might be able to drop the idler arm on the pass. side and not even have to use the tie rod separator...just depends on how much clearance it would give you.

Welcome Matto the Datto :D I really like the way you approached this whole Datsun thing. YOU READ! :blink: You look before leaping. You introduce yourself. It sounds like you got all your shit in one bag :cool: You also picked the best ol skool mini truck. 620's are IMHO the coolest looking lil trucks around. Now you av your project & you are on THE BEST FORUM IN THE WORLD! But, there is something missing..... <_< PICTURES of your truck! :fu:

I gues we cant be ALL perfect :rofl:

Haha.. thanks! Ok here are the pics!

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

photo4.jpg

The interior really isn't TOO bad, not sure why I haven't pulled the looney tunes mat out yet. :P The seats are nice, but honestly if anyone wants to trade, I'd much rather have a bench :D

So far my adventure is beginning with finding all sorts of fun little things that the previous previous owner did, like replacing the headlamp switch with a random 4-way switch... haha and things like this....

photo5.jpg

Yup... trapped in there....I could imagine feeling really lazy though and just saying "fuck it" like that... :P

It has handfuls of other little problems, the main being that most of the smog stuff was ripped out! I live in california, dammit! I need it back! haha

Also the radiator was replaced with some huge chevy big block radiator... and the heater core was disconnected and the hoses to it were cut off at the firewall. Overcooling issues? Laziness? Who knows, but its fun so far trying to figure all this dumb crap out.

Thanks for the welcome, now i'm off to finish this gasket madness and hope that I can forget about the oil leak and move on to the rest of the truck!

Nice truck! I would keep the buckets if they're in good shape. That's just me.

Is that a wrench stuck in there? Maybe that's to keep it handy...

On dropping the oil pan,yeah the crossmember has to go too. The worst part is getting it back on. I did mine,I know.

Good luck!!

Nice truck! I would keep the buckets if they're in good shape. That's just me.

Is that a wrench stuck in there? Maybe that's to keep it handy...

On dropping the oil pan,yeah the crossmember has to go too. The worst part is getting it back on. I did mine,I know.

Good luck!!

Haha actually it was all super easy once I rented the ball joint pitchfork and press from auozone. I can't believe I never realized that ther tools are totally free of charge. It's crazy!

The hard part is just reaching the bolts around the exhaust. That thing is SO close to the pan...also crazy.

Best part of today was when I popped off my valve cover to discover that the previous owner had spraypainted the valve arms and springs silver! What a douche! Haha. Oh well, I guess I'll just be changing oil filters more often :/

• 2 weeks later...

looks great! :cool:

quite similar to mine :D cept ive only got single cab :( and a J series, and 79 grille, and column shift, and im yet to line the tub like yours, looks nice like that. my handbrake doesnt work either heh

ive got a few weird problems too that are funny to think about. like how my fuel guage was wired to a leaf spring :\ and how ive got (well, had) random rivets in places