Cd player install..

I would like to install a cd player into my 79 datsun 620. I have been looking at the wiring diagram on the haynes manual but it seems a bit misleading or might just be that I'm not very good at reading the diagram. I need to know which color wire to tap into.. If anyone can help me out with this.

Here's the ones I need:

Ign ACC =

Ign Start =

Battery 12v =

Illumination =

Illumin dimmer control =

Ground =

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now hopefully you have a good radio and not a noname brand, get a test light.

The wire that is hot all the time is 12+ that would go to the yellow on the radio.

The one that lights up when the key is on is the ACC, that will go to the red.

Now here is the tricky one; test the rest while turning the parking lights on and off, the one that lights up will go to the dimmer wire, Orange I believe on the radio. You do not want to use a wire in the harness as ground, most mess up and hook it to the dimmer wire, it reads ground when the parking lights are off.

As for you ground, your black wire goes to a clean metal spot nearby on the frame/dash/ firewall whatever easiest. I always recomend to run fresh wire to the speakers, some cars the speaker is grounded to the truck, that will kill your deck.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Another thing to think about. There is a harness in the dash for the original radio. Hook up a light tester, shove it in the connector in one spot and turn the key on, if nothing, move on to the next, then to the next, and so on until you see one that lights up. Once you do that and find the one that lights up when the key is on, you have found your power source. I would run a separate wire to the battery for your memory power wire. Done deal...

For the dimmer switch, maybe the test light will get lighter/dimmer if you turn the dimmer up/down.. Not sure, my radio didn't have a dimmer wire that went with the lights but it was new and high end

and what elmer said :rofl:

elmerfudpucker, I think budsaipan is looking for the wires from the '79 620 that correspond to the wires you described. :unsure:

At any rate, I would do exactly what has been said for ground - run a new wire. The ground lug for the dash is a good place to attach.

Constant On +, I would grab it from the clock wire.

ACC + and RUN + should come from the same source. Original Radio + wire??

Illumination and Illumination Dimmer (on some radios) is the same wire. Grab it from the light circuit on the dash cluster. It will have already been past the dimmer switch.

Good Luck with the install :)

Thanks guys.

Zerow, you got it. I am looking actually looking for the wire color on the dash side, not the cd player as i know the wires on that one.

The test light is a good idea. I'll try that. So for the battery 12v, do i just run it straight to the battery? Anyway if anyone can get the actual wire color from the dash side, that'd be a big help for me. thanks

• 2 weeks later...