Panic Stations - 1967 411 windscreen

Hi Guys,

Just making some lists for things to do on my 411 project and noticed a crack in the windscreen. It looks like a couple of small nicks in the laminate surface and a crack between them, probably about 1cm long but right in the drivers line of sight. This is going to cause major problems for roadworthy certificates down the line.

I know that repair of these has come a long way but I am not confident that it will be invisible enough for the RWC

Does anyone know if the 411 screens are being done after market in Australia (or somewhere else that will ship here!)?. Anyone got a spare kicking around that they can bear to do without??

Are there any other screens that are interchangeable with the 411??

HELP!!! I really don't want to have to abandon this build before it gets going.....

Cheers

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post a pic of it if you can :lol: but it sounds small enough to have a sufficient fix done on it, but then again Im not sure how strict they are on it there.

but theres a good handful of active AUS members that can chime in :cool:

If you know anyone close by that has a 520 pickup, or just maybe a 521 take some measurements. They look similar enough that it is worth a few minutes with a tape measure. My personal belief is that they may well look similar but that the pickup wind screens are just a tad taller. Whether or not a really skilled glass replacement expert could trim to fit is doubtful given the 40 plus years age of the glass. Good luck, "DATSUN buy it for the long run" as the ads used to say.

• 2 weeks later...

obriens would be worth a call mang, just to see what they say. repair is win though, pretty sure repairs are fine with RWC cos they fix the weak point in the glass

novus is the other one in vic, or all the smaller mobs

if they cant help, ask em about windscreen replacements. you never know what they'll have/be able to kick out

Thanks guys.....yeah, I tried O'Briens but they will only source screens if you can provide them with a VIN...if I'm not mistaken, they didn't start using VINs til 1968 or 1969 so I guess their claim to be able to get any screen for any car doesn't exactly hold water. Novus was also a no-go BUT....there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Deejays auto glass in Geelong may be able to come to my rescue, they say they can source a replacement but I have been waiting a week for the guy to get back to me on a price...fingers crossed it's not going to cost more than the car. If it doesn't come through I will have to look at repair.

Has anyone ever used one of the DIY repair kits or is it just better to get the pros to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Datman,

I am in the same boat, doing a ground up race 1966 410 model. I have located a source in Thailand that has 4 of them. He is willing to part with them only in trade from some rare L series option 2 parts that he needs. I have a lot of those so I am trying to put that deal together for him. In the meantime I have located a guy that makes windshields from scratch to any sample. Big $$ but it may be the only way to go eventually for a lot of datsun models.

my email if you need help

raceneely_2000@yahoo.com

Tom Neely