72 PL510 electrical problem

dgi

Somehow I've made myself an electrical problem...

Pulled the carpet out to replace it.

Now, the common fuse blows immediately. The brake lights don't work and the flashers don't work. All other lights are working except the overhead cabin light.

Haven't been able to locate a short anywhere, but obviously have one.

Any ideas?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one is the common fuse?

The brake light, the signal lights and the interior lights are on three separate fuses I think. My 710 has a wire harness running under the rear seat. Wouldn't take much to pinch it there.

Which one is the common fuse?

The brake light, the signal lights and the interior lights are on three separate fuses I think. My 710 has a wire harness running under the rear seat. Wouldn't take much to pinch it there.

Sorry, the fuse that is blowing is the one for passenger compartment light and a few other things in the interior. It blows immediately and the circuit when checked at the fuse box is shorted to ground.

According to the legend on the fuse box cover, the fuse labeled as brake lights is good.

All seats, carpet and pads have been removed. None of the wires running through the passenger compartment show any cuts or chafing. As far as I can tell, the weren't damaged during the removal process. There are no loose wires, bare ends or connectors.

common fuse would be the cig lighter(common) circut also. means it hot(has 12volts) all the time

The brake light run of the horn fuse(at least mine does.)

did you install screws any where recently????????? maybe you screwd thru a wire run somehwere.Rear set hitting wires???

I would start with cking under the fuse box.

if your sure its a short to ground. then but the meter in where you can see it or maybe hear it when its shorted to ground then start moving wires around.

The dome light works off the common circut

common fuse would be the cig lighter(common) circut also. means it hot(has 12volts) all the time

This occurred to me too. Possibly the cig lighter is pushed in and shorting out the fuse, or the hot wire is shorting to the case? It's got some serious current draw. Instant fuse pop usually indicates a pretty significant load.

• Like 1

Progress... found the brake light problem. Missing the spade to bullet connector wire from the brake pedal switch to the green/yellow wire. No idea how that went AWOL.

Still haven't located the dead short on the blue/white wire coming off the common fuse.

Carpets and seats are out of the car, so the back seat isn't pinching anything. All the wires running from the front to the back along the tunnel are intact and not grounded. The seat belt wires are OK and not grounding anywhere. One unknown pair that terminates near the front seat brace, one male bullet and one female bullet connector. It wasn't connected to anything when I removed the carpet, just laying in there but it is not grounded.

Ran out of time tonight, so I have the wire running to the overhead light and the two door switches left to check out. According to my chart, the circuit also powers the engine compartment light (which I don't have) and I haven't found where it is supposed to be or any unknown and disconnected wires in the engine compartment.

hainz, I will remember to pull up the fuse box and look under it tomorrow night. A long shot probably since this occurred after the carpet was removed, but doesn't take long to eliminate it.

Thanks for the ideas, and I will keep looking.

yes the Blu/wht wire is Hot all the time.

when I got my yellow 510 the privios owner wire in a SSS tach. he powered it to the blu/wht wire. But didnt hook up the trigger wire to the coil.. My battery would die every 3/4 days. I couldnt figure out why. So I put a meter in series with the battery. then pop fuses. Notice it too was the COMMON fuse.

I traced that blu/wht wire to the front as it would be a hood light but nothing there. then traced to under dash.

Prev owner hook the tach up but it self grounded itself thus draining the battery.(but you never knew it was ON cause he never hooked up the trigger.

I felt like a Man after I figured this out!!!!!!!!!!!

Possibly the cig lighter is pushed in and shorting out the fuse, or the hot wire is shorting to the case?

nukeday, you are correct.

The blue/white wire feeds the cig lighter. The element inside the assembly had shifted ever so slightly and shorted to the case.

Fixed that, and all the other "no worky" things came back to life.

Thanks everyone for all the pointers.

Fuck!!!!!!

Nukeday +1

Hainz 0

Oh no! Actually you were first stating that the blue/white wire feeds the cig lighter. I just failed to give your post mention. My bad!

So it is

Hainz +1

Nukeday +1

Thanks to both of you.