My newly purchased 81 310 GX - newbie

Hey all, I'm Joe from Charlotte, NC. Stumbled across this website and have been on everyday for the past two weeks... thought it was time to register. I just purchased a 1981 310 gx w/ 100 k on it. Paid 400 bucks for it and all it was in need off was new battery cables.... There is no rust on the thing except a small hole in the passenger door. Floor pans are perfect. Interior will need to be redone but that is the fun of it... Engine doesn't smoke one bit and runs very strong.... or about as strong as an a15 can with a stock carb that is loaded with emissions. Here is a picture of it... I took some old appliance 14x7 meshes I had laying the garage and put them on the drivers side... makes it look a lot less like a grandma getter.

Photo04591.jpg

This should be a very interesting project. First front wheel drive / power steering car that I have had in a long time... My plans are to put a weber 32/36 on it along with a 2" exhaust, go bumper less, slam it, maybe paint it (don't really car for a super nice paint job) and I would like to paint the meshes red in the center... or possibly yellow...something different and polish the outer lips. Would also like maybe some small fender mirror and fab up a front air dam of sorts. The interior will get a face lift and the engine will need to be cleaned for sure (came without a valve cover seal laugh.gif ) If anyone knows where I can get a hot cam for this thing let me know... the oval ported head is already a plus and with a good carb, exhaust and a cam it should be pretty fun to drive.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome. I can't wait to build it.... it seems so few people have these cars. I have only been able to find a few examples and it seems as though it is not a car that is ever really built up. I guess bc it is front wheel drive... It is really cool to me though and it is cool that is a gx with the nicer head and intake. I actually already got a 32/36 about a month ago off of ebay for 40 bucks and got a rebuild kit for 35... 75 bucks for a 32/36.... not too bad. I got a lot done on the engine tonight and started cleaning it up. I took out all of the a/c stuff and all of the emissions. I pulled the intake and carb and ported the intake. I also took off the mechanical fuel pump and blocked it off and put on an electirc pump i've had sitting on a shelf... I want to try to get it alot lighter and take off everything that is not needed. I want it to be fun to drive yet still be a dd. I have been searching for a cam also for about a week and have come up with nothing... There is a shop here that does regrinds but I doubt that would have a profile for that cam to go off of to do a regrind... I guess I will keep looking. I am also looking into interior stuff swaping over from maybe 210's... also the out door handles. Three out of the four are broken and don't work. More pics to come....

Were those cars front wheel drive? Could be why your front tire sits so far out. Not sure tho... Good start to a project. That thing would look good with something different done with the bumper, and say a billet grill. That one looks kinda funky :D

Yeah it is front wheel drive... it has a transverse mounted a15 in it with a four speed trans. The front end of this thind definitely has the 80's look to it but I kind of like it. A billet grille would be cool. I was also looking at the earlier grilles with the round headlights. They look to be the exact same fit, just with round headlights which I prefer... You can't see it in the picture but the hood actually has louvers cut out on each corner which makes it look a little bit more sporty.... I took off the hood latching mechanism yesterday because it did not work at all.... You had to hold the handle while someone lifted the hood. I could have probablky just hit it with some pb blaster and then some silcone lube or something.... but I just went and picked up a set of hood pins tongue.gif . I will get some more pics of this thing today....

iv e got a grill off a 1979 310 gx on the wall in my shop you can have if you want im never going to use it, email gblasko@hotmail.com if your interested

• Like 1

Good luck finding 210 interior parts. lol

I've been looking for some time now, and didn't find shit for my 210. So I got an RX7 Dash that I'm currently fitting into my 210.

Also, slap a cherrybomb on that sucker!!

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
  • Like 1

Good luck finding 210 interior parts. lol

I've been looking for some time now, and didn't find shit for my 210. So I got an RX7 Dash that I'm currently fitting into my 210.

Also, slap a cherrybomb on that sucker!!

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Holy damn! That sounds good for a 4 cylinder. What do you hhave done to your engine?

iv e got a grill off a 1979 310 gx on the wall in my shop you can have if you want im never going to use it, email gblasko@hotmail.com if your interested

I will most definitely email you! Thanks!

Welcome to Ratsun cool.gif

My Grandma used to drive that same datto in blue haha

lookin forward to this things potential cool.gif

Bahahaha! Yeah my neighbor who is about 75-80 came over and said he used to drive one.... I am 24 by the waylaugh.gif I also have a 57 ford anglia that I am working on... It is even more grandma than this thing.... well stock anyway. If grandma saw it, let alone drove it when I get done with it, she would croak. I guess my gen 1 rx7 makes up for all the grandma cars...wink.gif

• Like 1

Holy damn! That sounds good for a 4 cylinder. What do you hhave done to your engine?

Not mine, but essentially the same. The video car has an A15 with an electronic dizzy, a Weber 32/36 and a CherryBomb. I'm in the process of doing the same setup on my B310. You have an A15, so if you match all the mods you will get the same sound :)

I guess my gen 1 rx7 makes up for all the grandma cars...wink.gif

I got the dash out of a 1st gen RX7 for my B310 :P They look beautiful

Edited by metalmonkey47

Not mine, but essentially the same. The video car has an A15 with an electronic dizzy, a Weber 32/36 and a CherryBomb. I'm in the process of doing the same setup on my B310. You have an A15, so if you match all the mods you will get the same sound smile.gif

[/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

I got the dash out of a 1st gen RX7 for my B310 tongue.gif They look beautiful

I would love to see some pics of that....Seems like quite the task.... I recently took mine apart to redo and they are pretty simple once you get into it.... They are pretty hard to find though with the sun damage.... around these parts anyway...

I would love to see some pics of that....Seems like quite the task.... I recently took mine apart to redo and they are pretty simple once you get into it.... They are pretty hard to find though with the sun damage.... around these parts anyway...

Yeah, it's pretty difficult. It took me forever to find one that was in good condition. Finally came up with one.

Heres my build

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/19795-metalmatts-b310/

• 1 year later...