sloppy shifter

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

620stuff001Large-2.jpg

The striking pin (19) is the part Hainz is referring to. A bolt could be substituted here, and tightened to remove some slop where the control lever is mounted onto the striking rod (20). Do not over tighten as the control lever must pivot on the pin as the striking rod moves forward and back.

It comes as no surprise that this 'A' type shift mechanism is also called the 'monkey motion' shifter.

my 71'521 has a four speed and i want to get a new shifter because its pretty bad and so where would i get one??

Nope, those brass shifter bushings are for the 'B' type shifter made before '80.

It is pre 80, something im missing??

The 510 car, 521 and very early 620 (and others) used an 'A' type shifter mechanism like this:

521 shifter with mostly external parts.

transF4W63520-521flangeo-p.jpg

The 'B' type shifter was used from Oct '73 and on in the 620 and looks like this:

620 4 speed shifter.

transF4W71Blongtail3.jpg

(after '80 the bushings you posted were changed for a different style in the 'B' type shifter)

My shifter in my old 521 could be swung in a circle about the size of a basketball. (in any gear) This was the late '70s and I think I used washers on that pin and a washer and lock washer to squash the two #8 cone shaped rubber bushings to keep the shifter from spinning around.

i think im gonna scrape some cash together and rebuild my 5 speed dogleg i got :cool:

those bushings i posted a link to work on an L series dogleg :D I know you're going to rebuild, just putting that info out there. it got rid of 90 or so % of the slop in my shifter just replacing that!

For the old style transmissions, I've been working on this:

th_shift-yoke-859-a.jpgth_shift-yoke-858-a.jpgth_shift-yoke-857-a.jpg

This was a first try. Since I've got four three PL510 4 speeds laying around I was

planning to try other variations. If there's any intere$t I could manufacture a solution

like this on a core exchange basis. At this point, interested parties can suggest a better

design. The basic idea here is to overbore the # 37 aluminum yoke to accept some type

of easily replaceable bushing.

Installation requires removal/dissassembly of tailshaft but could be done without

removing the trans or otherwise rebuilding it. Could also make bushings out of Delrin.

A flanged bushing would be better. One dilemma I got into was whether to modify other

parts so it accepts an off the shelf 3/4" oilite bushing, or not modify it so the end user

has to obtain custom metric size bushings (18mm or about .7085") for replacements.

chrisdgraham22@gmail.com

PS: does anyone know BB code to make thumbnails line up in a horizontal row?

PPS: I guess an admin fixed that for me? Thanks - I'd have never thought it was that simple!