Motor swap for a 521?????????

what

Did a search on here and came up with everything under the sun that has 521 in it. I would like to do a upgraded motor swap for my pickup. Being your average blue collar worker i cant get all crazy on this but something has to be done. I was thinking about a napz 2.4 or even a Chevy ( here we go ) 2.8 or 4.3 as the parts and avalibilty are plentifull. Of cource with the chevy i have to wonder if iam going to have to do any cuttin on the tranny tunnel to make the Th350 or any of the stick trannys to fit under? Of cource more than likely iam going to have to get some driveline work done no matter the choice. What ever i pick wich is going to be something other than what i am runnin now. I have a Great running L16 with stock head, mallory electronic ignition (199.00 when i bought it) new weber 32/36 and a new header along with a excellent 200sx dog leg 5 speed for sale. Which would you pick and or what have you done?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have a Great running L16 with stock head

theres part of your problem. that stock 210 head has terrible flow!

Im swapping mine out with a W58 Im building to give the L16 9:1CR.

Itl deff flow a shit ton better and hopefully it gives it some more pep too.

Being your average blue collar worker i cant get all crazy on this but something has to be done.

with all being said have you considered just an L20b with a good peanut head?

maybe throw some Z car flat top pistons in there if you have time.

its going to be the easiest/cheapest swap as itl drop right in.

Did a search on here and came up with everything under the sun that has 521 in it. I would like to do a upgraded motor swap for my pickup. Being your average blue collar worker i cant get all crazy on this but something has to be done. I was thinking about a napz 2.4 or even a Chevy ( here we go ) 2.8 or 4.3 as the parts and avalibilty are plentifull. Of cource with the chevy i have to wonder if iam going to have to do any cuttin on the tranny tunnel to make the Th350 or any of the stick trannys to fit under? Of cource more than likely iam going to have to get some driveline work done no matter the choice. What ever i pick wich is going to be something other than what i am runnin now. I have a Great running L16 with stock head, mallory electronic ignition (199.00 when i bought it) new weber 32/36 and a new header along with a excellent 200sx dog leg 5 speed for sale. Which would you pick and or what have you done?

I'll take the dogleg if you sell it!!!

Keep it stock, stay with the L 16 & enjoy the truck. Most swaps dont get finished & the truck will sit for years. Just my 2 "nickle's"

Listen to this guy, altough some might tell you to throw in a l20b because of the same mounting dimensions but i would just stick to what is working for you now

Yes sir. I contacted Datzenmike whom i look to for knowledge and he said even the Napz 2.4 requires some mods. I will more than likely stick with the L-series set up. I am however trying to find a R16 or a U20 motor as i would think being similar in overall size that it shouldnt be a problem to mount. However finding one in running condition seems to be like searching for a needle in a haystack. If someone is looking for a dogleg 5 speed here in oregon i would be willing to go in halfs with someone and buy that 510 wagon that is on the eugene oregon craigslist. You take the tranny and everything else and i will take the motor. Lets talk this guy down to $700.00.

R16/U20 will require a tranny that fits them too.

Leave the L16 for now. You said it runs good. Stick the dogleg on it. Someone here did this so look it up for tips, but I don't think there was anything major to change just a tranny mount mod.

Now have some fun while you keep your eyes open for good deals. Maybe later, slip an L20B in for an extra 15-20 hp.

You're looking into roadster engines?!?! Not only are they harder to find parts for, they're more expensive.

If you're not going to do a bolt in, which the roadster engines definitely aren't, go for something new with EFI. If it was me looking to do the swap, I'd find a nice used KA24E or KA24DE. Would fit nicely without any major mods, you get EFI, and the ability to find parts at any auto store.

Yes sir. I contacted Datzenmike whom i look to for knowledge and he said even the Napz 2.4 requires some mods. I will more than likely stick with the L-series set up. I am however trying to find a R16 or a U20 motor as i would think being similar in overall size that it shouldnt be a problem to mount. However finding one in running condition seems to be like searching for a needle in a haystack. If someone is looking for a dogleg 5 speed here in oregon i would be willing to go in halfs with someone and buy that 510 wagon that is on the eugene oregon craigslist. You take the tranny and everything else and i will take the motor. Lets talk this guy down to $700.00.

I emailed that guy multiple times. And i offered more than you just suggested, he didn't take the offer. Good luck tho!

I emailed that guy multiple times. And i offered more than you just suggested, he didn't take the offer. Good luck tho!

Yeah. I never even got a reply back from the guy with the wagon. Its hasnt been started in 6 years so if he wont come down on the price he can just keep the peice of shit.