1972 4 door 510 temporary distraction

The Wife and I picked up this 4 door at the last Eagle Rock swapmeet. It has been stored for 20 years and looked pretty clean so I decide to paint it, and make it a runner. I pulled all the necessary parts off, ie door handles, grill, tail light etc. And proceeded to start body and paint. After doing a little grinding, i came across a small amount of rust. Looks like some one replaced the tail panel at some time, however they brazed it together instead of using a mig.

DSCN1145.jpg

DSCN1148.jpg

DSCN1149.jpg

I decided to sand blast the rust and crap away, and see what i was really up against.

DSCN1152.jpg

I'm lucky this is the most rust i found on the exterior of the car

DSCN1153.jpg

Patch panel and weld, done, at this time I also welded up the sides of tail light panel

DSCN1161.jpg

Also welded up the Lic lights

DSCN1162.jpg

DSCN1185.jpg

I ended up changing out the driver fender and trunk lid. Rear door handles were shaved by previous owner, decent job. Other areas of body work were rough. After a few long days in the shop 2-3am. I sprayed a fat coat of Metal lock DTM primer filler.

DSCN1192.jpg

DSCN1194.jpg

DSCN1195.jpg

Some areas i had to sand and prime again. Put the 2nd time around this little 4 door started to come together. Once new fender and trunk lid were installed. The complete car was remasked and sprayed with a epoxy sealer. I allowed that to dry over night, then a quick nibbing wet sand with 600gt. (this sands out small debris from dust and innocent bugs)

DSCN1208.jpg

DSCN1225-1.jpg

3 coats of single stage U-tec cream and mostly done.

I cut it with 1500gt, buffed it and polished it. Looks great for a 8 day paint job.

Will update as the car comes together.

DSCN1222-1.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Yes the engine is installed, and running. Very simple L16 / 4 speed set up with electric dizzy, and a 3 core rad.

Also lowered her and slapped some rims on her. Now she's coming together. We have black bumpers to install that are almost finished.

DSCN1667.jpg

DSCN1665.jpg

DSCN1668.jpg

• 2 months later...

Update

Wow i would have never thought we would of taken this car this far. As it sits, it's now powered by a L20B / 5 speed, painted the engine bay black, redid all the fuel lines (what a pain in the ass), redid all the interior, and changed the black trim and grill to chrome.

I'm looking forward to driving this thing. I think we will be lowering the rear, and getting a new exhaust soon.

DSCN1795.jpg

DSCN1794.jpg

DSCN1798.jpg

Other upgrades are airdam, chrome bumpers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guy, just an old timer here looking for a 71-73 2dr 510 for fun track car. Built a few over the years, looking for a new unit. I will use a street port 13B to play and full cararara suspension in the front and a slotted rear. Any old race cars up there ?

Thanks Al

hdpartman@gmail.com