521 5 speed?

ok so im tired of only having the four gears... im ready to have 5 to make the ride on the freeway i little bit more enjoyable... anyhow i want to know what the best transmission to go with is... in otherwords what should i get a 5 speed out of.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The FS5W63A from a '77-'79 200sx or '79-'80 A10 (optionakl tranny). It's the same length as the 521. You need replace the bolt on 521 drive shaft spline with a slip in type spline. Someone on here has done this...

The FS5W63A from a '77-'79 200sx or '79-'80 A10 (optionakl tranny). It's the same length as the 521. You need replace the bolt on 521 drive shaft spline with a slip in type spline. Someone on here has done this...

{raises hand} ..i have & did a writeup w/ pix.

short story- used a 83 ZX 5 speeed & had to...

shorten driveshaft

modify [shorten] tranny crossmember

modify [weld shut] & use the stock 521 yoke that goes in the end of the tranny

you MUST...

use the 521 throwout bearing

run bucket seats

i advise...

that you pull the motor & trans. out together. for me it was easier & thats a good time to degrease the engine bay & paint if you like

be patient

have a daily driver, this mod took me about a week & i did it by myself ;)

Ill try & see if i can find the link to the writeup.

I Used a Z-car transmission, one with about a 3.3 first gear. The stock 521 first gear is about a 3.6 ratio.

I had my front half of the driveline shortened, and had the yoke that fits the transmission put on it.

I had to fab a shorter rear transmission mount.

I had to cut a new hole in the plate that covers the transmission in tha cab, and used the metal I cut from the hole to plug the old hole.

I used the original bench seat.

I used a Z-car speedometer cable, and got a speedometer pinion for the transmission from the dealer to match the rear axle ratio, the speedometer pinion probably is not available from the dealer anymore.

The neutral, and third gear switch for the second set of points in the distributer were not hooked up. The reverse light switch was.

I think I used a Z-car slave cylinder, but the fork and throwout bearing holder, and bearing from the 521.

I used the 2000 roadster pressure plate.

I did not have to pull the engine. I was able to drop the transmission from the bottom. You will need to completely remove the seat to pull the transmission, either one.

If the angles are right, the transmission will slip out easily. After the transmission is loose from the engine, I was able to set the bellhousing of the transmission on the torsion bars, to relax, and wiggle out ot the way, so I coumd then lift and twist the transmission, and slip it on to the ground, or the floor of your shop, if you are lucky enough to have one.

Good input Daniel. I was able to get the 4 speed speedo cable to reach the 5 speed but just barely. & i never worried about the reverse lights.

& you MUST use the 521 clutch slave. The Z clutch slave hits the torsion bar.

I found my writeup...........

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/511-5-speed-z-car-tranny-into-my-521/

good luck & ask ?'s if you need to.