620 Posi?

dsigh

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any particular reason why you want to go GM? I'm pretty sure people have used narrowed rear ends many times before, but it you're going to go that route you may as well stick to Nissan... get one off a hardbody or Frontier or something...

Why do you want to change the rear end? Are you trying to go with a different gear ratio, is something broken, do you want LSD? It's not that bad to get the brackets and calipers and all to do a disc brake swap... that way you end up with new rotors and everything. Besides, you'll probably want to do the fronts as well, so matching front brakes to the rear might be a little difficult. Not to mention brake lines, proportioning valve, power brake booster, etc...

I'd just stick with what you have and do the disc swap right at a later date, unless you want something that you absolutely cannot get with a Datsun/Nissan rear end...

Oh, sorry, I didn't clue in on the posi bit...

But... care to educate me as to exactly what posi is?

I don't think the HB or Frontier was available with it... unless you're talking about an LSD. Like I said, I don't know what a posi is, but I'll assume it's some sort of locker?

The 4x4 Toyota had six lug. 5-lug is better though and is available for the small 2wd trucks.

Lots of people look into posi in a 620 but nobody can find a real solution. There is a certain model of Pathfinder that has an optional LSD rear. It is a V6 4x4 Pathfinder from the late 80's. But its on 4-link and only an option. I found one of those in a wrecking yard but tested out to be an open diff. It would require lots of mods to fit. they are much wider than the 620 axel.

The 4x4 Toyota had six lug. 5-lug is better though and is available for the small 2wd trucks.

Lots of people look into posi in a 620 but nobody can find a real solution. There is a certain model of Pathfinder that has an optional LSD rear. It is a V6 4x4 Pathfinder from the late 80's. But its on 4-link and only an option. I found one of those in a wrecking yard but tested out to be an open diff. It would require lots of mods to fit. they are much wider than the 620 axel.

Well this seems like its going to be a lot more work. I'm going to start looking into Yota 4x4 because I want this to appear as stock as possible - keep the 6 lugs. I'll keep you guys updated with what I find in case you're also interested in a true 620 "drifter." :D

I vote to stay with Japanese components if you can get away with it... A GM might work, but it might be a bit finicky to get all the details ironed out, and you'd still end up with a GM rear end on a Japanese truck.

A drifter sounds like fun... considering the weight distribution on a pickup compared to a passenger car you might be able to have some fun with it, and you could easily change the weight distribution by just throwing sandbags in the back if you wanted. Personally, I just want a quick, agile little truck that I can tear around the mountain roads up here... But, different terrain/climate, different culture, different cars.

I vote to stay with Japanese components if you can get away with it... A GM might work, but it might be a bit finicky to get all the details ironed out, and you'd still end up with a GM rear end on a Japanese truck.

A drifter sounds like fun... considering the weight distribution on a pickup compared to a passenger car you might be able to have some fun with it, and you could easily change the weight distribution by just throwing sandbags in the back if you wanted. Personally, I just want a quick, agile little truck that I can tear around the mountain roads up here... But, different terrain/climate, different culture, different cars.

I hope to have some videos up by the end of the year. Not to get off topic, but here's my buddies old roommate in a Porsche which is unheard of in the drifting community...

Still raises the hair on my arms.

just weld it!!

I'm pretty sure that LSD was an option on all Pathfinders, and some 4x4 and V6 Hardbodies.

The pathfinder (h233b) rear is 5/8" wider than the hardbody H190. And I'm pretty sure that the harbody rear is wider than the 620. the 5/8ths isnt a problem on the hardbody, I've got one under my 2wd and a buddy has one under his 4x4. If you're lucky you can find one with disc brakes too! Really chopping off the 4-link shit and welding on perches isn't too much trouble, the difficult part is making the driveshaft, or having one made.

Really the H233B is a GREAT rearend, we like to call it a "nissan nine inch" seem to be damn near indestuctable. PLUS you get LSD and usually really low gears, I think mine is 4.6something which helps for big tires, but for you it will help keep smaller tires spinning.

Trucks drift okay but it'll take some work, and a fair amount of driving skill. I've got plenty of Hardbody drifting stories I could tell, but like everyone who tries to "drift" one of them ends in a wall, be preparred for that :eek:

Alright kids, I have my answer. I forgot one of my buddies is a Nissan mechanic. He's guessing that the years Nissan went to LSD was in the early '90s. Any wrecking yard you talk to, they won't tell you crap until you say what year you're calling on. So call it '93, you're looking for a Pathfinder rearend with a red sticker labeled "LSD fluid only."

check out the thread h190 snapping axels we delt with that in that thread you can still buy LSD for the nissan rear ends its the same as posi just refered to differently, you use the rear end from a d21 choose your gear ratio should be plenty at your local wrecking yard inside front right side fender will tell you the ratio in the truck then look at http://www.reiderracing.com under powerbrute they should have them. hope this helps :D

-Clayton

I guess I'm confused on "lockers" (typically used for 4x4's) and LSD or Posi. I thought lockers didn't allow you to turn corners without tire chirp, only really used for wheeling or the dragslip. If I'm looking to slide this thing around, I think I need to go the d21 route and avoid the aftermarket lockers, right?

Sorry for the confusion.

'86 and up 'Yoda trucks had optional LSD available.

The D21 truck ('86 1/2 and up)with Sports Package option and VG30 engine had rear disc brakes and LSD on the H223B diff. It was available only with 4.375 ratio on the standard and only with 4.625 on the automatic.

The WD21 Pathfinder ('87 and up) with Sports Package option (same rear disc and engine as above) LSD only available on automatic and 4.375 ratio.

This is not to say that non LSD gear set can't be put into the H223B axle. Indeed 3.70 and 3.90 sets came in the 2wd D21s and would prob fit.

Wouldn't you need the gears as well in order to make it a LSD, or could you use non-LSD gears and keep the limited slip?

As for lockers, most on the market can be turned on and off, so you could lock it up whenever you want. You're right, they are mostly for 4x4 trucks, but in order to drift you're trying to lose traction in your rear wheels, correct? Wouldn't locking them together allow you to do that, or does it have to be a limited-slip?

The crown and pinion gear from any H223B rear would fit the LSD unit. For example, say you find a 4.375 LSD rear end but it's too low, and you want one with highway gears. You get a set of 3.90s from a 2wd and swap into the LSD rear end... voila' you have a 3.90 LSD.

I don't 'get' driftin', but it's OK if others do. If I had a dedicated drift car, one that never was driven on the street, I would weld the rear solid. Why waste time and expen$e with L$D, locker$ or whatever, that can break and need replacing. If it was a street driven car, definitely would get a limited slip.

The crown and pinion gear from any H223B rear would fit the LSD unit. For example, say you find a 4.375 LSD rear end but it's too low, and you want one with highway gears. You get a set of 3.90s from a 2wd and swap into the LSD rear end... voila' you have a 3.90 LSD.

I don't 'get' driftin', but it's OK if others do. If I had a dedicated drift car, one that never was driven on the street, I would weld the rear solid. Why waste time and expen$e with L$D, locker$ or whatever, that can break and need replacing. If it was a street driven car, definitely would get a limited slip.

Ok, I think I got it.

I understand the newer trucks have wider rearends, but is there anything to keep someone from throwing the LSD unit with trimmed axles into the original 620 rearend? Sounds easier to shorten axles than shorten the housing and weld the perches on a newer rearend. That's my last question, I promise.

I think the carrier is different for the later LSDs vs the 620, but I'm not sure...

Depending on how much wider the LSD is, you might be able to get away with just replacing the perches and using wheels with a lower (?) offset to keep the wheels more-or-less in the same position... or, at least until you have the money to properly get the rear end shortened...