questions.

so i went to drain my diff and put some new fluid in, but since i cant get the fill plug off i dont want to drain it. Here's where you come in.

Q: Where can i get something to take this square 17mm plug off?

OR

Q: Does anyone know how much fluid it needs? That way i dont need to fuck with the fill plug.

on another issue, my 5 spd will not stay in 5th unless i hold it there. any tips?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i went to drain my diff and put some new fluid in, but since i cant get the fill plug off i dont want to drain it. Here's where you come in.

Q: Where can i get something to take this square 17mm plug off?

OR

Q: Does anyone know how much fluid it needs? That way i dont need to fuck with the fill plug.

on another issue, my 5 spd will not stay in 5th unless i hold it there. any tips?

Try a "Star Socket" sometimes crecent wrenchs slip

090220163100005-O1.jpg

The 5 spd issue sounds like tear down and replace some parts.

How the fuck are you going to fill the diff if you cannot take the fill plug out?

Which fill plug? Some are male, so use the right size wrench or star socket. Use a crescent hammer or vise grips as last resort...-AFTER- you get a new plug. If female, the male end of a 1/2-inch breaker bar is usually a near-perfect fit. Just be careful.

Either way, put anti-seize on the threads before screwing the fill and drain plugs back in.

the volume is in the manual.

i could just put that much fluid in the drain plug and plug it up. thats how.

please take video, so we can all lurn.

and :rofl:

it is a stock diff.

i will try a star socket. thanks!

if i knew the capacity of the diff i could just put that much fluid in the drain plug and plug it up. thats how.

Just turn the car upside down and fill 'er up! lolblink.gif

really?

you know they make compressors right?

how do you think your local jiffy lube can push out 85 cars a day?

Product-2009915102220.jpg

its called pressurized liquid, and conveniently has a digit meter of the fluid it pushes out.

thus, i could shoot gear oil into the drain plug (located on the back of the diff, not the bottom) until it reaches the capacity and have someone ready to plug it.

get creative, be efficient. :)

just an FYI... the drain plug.. its the one on the bottom... the one right above that... yeah thats the fill hole...

quit being lazy take bolth the plugs out... when its done draining, reinstall the bottom plug(the drain) and fill the upper hole with your comp press or.. untill it coms out of the hole you are filling.. replace the fill plug and be done with it!!!

a 3/4 ratchet takes the female off and a pipe wrench will take the male off if the cresent slips...

your going to have to be pretty quick to shoot the oil in the drain then plug it befor you loose half the fluid you pumped in with your comp press OR!!!!

FYI. If you grrrrr the drain plug (the bottom one with the magnet), they're still available from Nissan for about $8 (bought one a couple months ago).

The fill plug can either be Gen-U-Wine Nissan, or just get a pipe plug from the hardware store.