How much should I fear rust?

Dancingbear

Howdy Y'all,

I'm new to the forum, I can't believe how much good info can be found here. It's great to see people share their knowledge and passion.

I've wanted a 510 for years, and I'm finally in a position where I have the time and money to take care of one. The one thing that's holding me back is fear of rust. I like to wrench on cars and have always taken a special interest in suspension, but I HATE body work. I know that almost any old car I find will need some occasional work to control and remove rust, but the idea of constantly fighting rust is a big turn off. I know how I work, I'll put it off until it's too late.

I live outside of Denver, Colorado and the car will be parked outside year 'round. I've seen that dimes can die a quick, rusty death on the salty roads of the rust belt, but the roads here are salt free. Should I be so worried about rust? Am I overreacting?

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I HATE body work.

Should I be so worried about rust?

yes.

overcome your fear!

rust fear is inversely proportional to the work you can do (or pay someone to do)

the rust i have that scares me, would make the exp body guy laugh in my face! :(

If you fear rust,BUY A NEW car!!!!!!! I love my rusty truck!!!! Rust is a Must!!! nothing beats the classic look of RUST!!!!!

I love rust on the right car. I almost bought a ratty '51 Chevy a few years ago, and the 'patina' of rust and faded paint was a big part of what had me hooked.

I'll look into the por 15, thanks for the tip.

Don't rely on POR 15 to just cover your rust problems. Literally. POR 15 is only good--IMO--for putting over bare or light surface rusted metal to retard the process of oxidation, if you think by pouring some over your swiss cheese floors thinking you'll be good; you're wrong!

Grinding, cutting, and/or replacing will be the best option to fix the rust. I used to not want to deal with rust and stuff, but now I'm looking forward to finding rusty problems to fix!