No start.

Skib

so the goons being a lazy fucker.

It started up just fine Sat morning like always and I took off, forgot my directions to skunktruckin's place so I went back.

pulled into the driveway and shut her off and ran inside, grabbed my shit and went back out to be on my way.

nothin from the starter.

all my lights/stereo/ect work but no starter.

so I checked all my connections and the ground wire from the starter (E) had broken the eyelet connector. fixed that and still nothin. Iv checked all my fuses and connections and all seems fine. I replaced the starter with a Z car gear reduction one I had (both have 9 tooth gears and on an L16 so I assume it should fit) and its still just "click" now.

I pulled the battery out and topped off the water and stuck it on the charger since it was a little low form trying to start it over and over. Im really hoping that will solve all but if not any other suggestions?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

batt was pretty full charged and still just a "click"

when it does click I loose all lights till I pull the key back from starting.

stereo power, headlights, oil/charge lights, gauge lights, all of it.

dude I hate electrical systems

Does your fuse box have any corrosion on it(above or below)?

Also, the ignition switch gets nast-o inside over time. Try clicking the switch on-off-on-start a bunch of times. The connections get junk on em, and it sometimes helps.

One more thing; have you tried jumping the starter posts with a jumper wire or screw driver to test the starter itself? If you bridge the gap between the Positive post(Connected to battery) and the Starter solenoid spade connecter(that connects to the wiring harness), it should cause a short and turn the starter over. If that doesn't work, it's your starter. If that does work, you know it's the wiring.(Make sure you're out of gear when you do this, and the coil is grounded; otherwise your car may start up if you've left the ignition switch on.)

(1) Known good battery ( how old , what is the brand and CC amps )

(2) Remembering electricity travels on outside of copper cabling ? ( can still be bad if one cleans it throughly )

(3) Clean all grounds ( wire brush or screwdriver of some type , and we just had very wet weather keeping in mind)

(4) Known good fuseblock ? ( I cleaned and cleaned my old one , it failed quick so I replaced with new generic not an MSA or factory one on mine now )

(5) Is there solenoid for the cables on the firewall ? ( like a riding lawn mower one )

(6) Starters can literally fall apart inside ( I had one that clunked so bad back and forth inside it just simply stopped.

(7) Correct wire gauge and length to negative and positive ? ( sorry have to ask :mellow: )

(8) Did the mechancial starter solenoid fall apart on the gear reduction one ? or just get stuck ?

Ok sorry for sounding like a NAZI ! :D

batt was pretty full charged and still just a "click"

when it does click I loose all lights till I pull the key back from starting.

stereo power, headlights, oil/charge lights, gauge lights, all of it.

dude I hate electrical systems

sounds like a connection , time for some new or know good cables possibly ? ( sometimes old ones just can't be saved ;) )

Or are you having trouble with a relay ? sorry no 510 experience ?

Time to test the IG switch ?

Does your fuse box have any corrosion on it(above or below)?

top looks good, havent taken it off to check the bottom.

It started first try like usual (I drive the goon every day) on Sat, I drove for about 5 min shut it off and went to start it literally 30 sec later, idk what could screw with it in that short amount of time.

(1) Known good battery ( how old , what is the brand and CC amps )

batt Im running now, no previous problems and its fairly new

7390050131_large.jpg

(2) Remembering electricity travels on outside of copper cabling ? ( can still be bad if one cleans it throughly )

Iv been driving it every day since I got it and was driving it already right before this happened, it was shut off for like 30sec

(3) Clean all grounds ( wire brush or screwdriver of some type , and we just had very wet weather keeping in mind)

already been done

(4) Known good fuseblock ? ( I cleaned and cleaned my old one , it failed quick so I replaced with new generic not an MSA or factory one on mine now )

again, was driving it 30 sec before with no starting problems

(5) Is there solenoid for the cables on the firewall ? ( like a riding lawn mower one )

what? Iv never owned a riding lawn mower... :huh:

(6) Starters can literally fall apart inside ( I had one that clunked so bad back and forth inside it just simply stopped.

idk, nothing rattling but Iv replaced it with a known good one anyway

(7) Correct wire gauge and length to negative and positive ? ( sorry have to ask :mellow: )

yes.

(8) Did the mechancial starter solenoid fall apart on the gear reduction one ? or just get stuck ?

It came from my L28et, its almost brand new

sounds like a connection , time for some new or know good cables possibly ? ( sometimes old ones just can't be saved ;) )

Or are you having trouble with a relay ? sorry no 510 experience ?

Time to test the IG switch ?

no idea about the relay bit, Im a Z car guy :rofl: the goon is for A-B :P

It deff woulnt hurt to strip some of the insulation off the cables and trim them to some fresh cable tho

Also, the ignition switch gets nast-o inside over time. Try clicking the switch on-off-on-start a bunch of times. The connections get junk on em, and it sometimes helps.

One more thing; have you tried jumping the starter posts with a jumper wire or screw driver to test the starter itself? If you bridge the gap between the Positive post(Connected to battery) and the Starter solenoid spade connecter(that connects to the wiring harness), it should cause a short and turn the starter over. If that doesn't work, it's your starter. If that does work, you know it's the wiring.(Make sure you're out of gear when you do this, and the coil is grounded; otherwise your car may start up if you've left the ignition switch on.)

Try this ^^^ and see if it's the starter or wiring.

Here is a lawnmower starter solenoid ( checking for something very similiar ) , some cars have it and some do not , cables attached to studs. It is a very common part to fail on riding lawnmowers causing a "click" Just an option and use to repair lawnmowers like crazy ( they work or they don't :lol: ) , IDK 510's at all since I have not owned one. sorry for yer troubles dude

I have had 1 fail on my old ford ranger before , but IDK how common of a problem they are in cars

31-10771.jpg

My goon was doing this same thing. I think my system just eventually fried my alternator. My stereo would just shut off. Later that day I went to drop some stuff of at the post office and it wouldn't start for nothing. It just clicked like what your saying. My alternator is getting rebuild right now I should have it back tomorrow. I'll let yah know what happens.

Here is a lawnmower starter solenoid ( checking for something very similiar ) , some cars have it and some do not , cables attached to studs. It is a very common part to fail on riding lawnmowers causing a "click" Just an option and use to repair lawnmowers like crazy ( they work or they don't :lol: ) , IDK 510's at all since I have not owned one. sorry for yer troubles dude

I have had 1 fail on my old ford ranger before , but IDK how common of a problem they are in cars

31-10771.jpg

The starter solenoid on the 510s are on the starter itself.

My goon was doing this same thing. I think my system just eventually fried my alternator. My stereo would just shut off. Later that day I went to drop some stuff of at the post office and it wouldn't start for nothing. It just clicked like what your saying. My alternator is getting rebuild right now I should have it back tomorrow. I'll let yah know what happens.

so a bad regulator was your problem or just the alternator in general ? are they internal or external ? what's your fusebox like ?

Yeah, that's how alot of Fords are.

you mean turd's :lol: ( I own one , it's my parts getter/ mover truck ) I am looking for stupid little resistor that burned up on mine yesterday and NO ONE HAS IT ! ( I have 2 coil packs and 8 spark plugs total from german engineering because why ? they couldn't get the damn things past DEQ so there solution , 2 coil packs + 8 spark plugs = :lol: WTF ? ) Not even 2 dealerships say " it's currently out of production " All the parts stores say they don't stock that part or know where to get it :angry: :rolleyes:

sorry skib , I'll stop posting had to get that out ! :lol:

so a bad regulator was your problem or just the alternator in general ? are they internal or external ? what's your fusebox like ?

I think it was my alt. because My battery was slowly draining it was getting harder and harder to start each time. then finally nothing. I think there external. My fusebox is fresh!

I think my starter is about to hit the dust to. it'll just growl sometimes and not start I have to turn the key to off then try again. It usually starts the second time if not the first.

unless something randomly shorted the regulator in my alt it should be fine, its only a few months old

and Iv had 0 problems with charging or staring before this.

I think it was my alt. because My battery was slowly draining it was getting harder and harder to start each time. then finally nothing. I think there external. My fusebox is fresh!

I think my starter is about to hit the dust to. it'll just growl sometimes and not start I have to turn the key to off then try again. It usually starts the second time if not the first.

Yeah , sounds like the mechancal start solenoid ( gear/spring/bushings" are going out on yours and not engaging all the way. Sometimes the teeth get ground down , but they usually just fall apart in my experience. IDK about your battery drain honestly I hate electrical ! :lol: Good luck and start a thread on that once you find the problem ;) Might check the ring gear on the flywheel when you get a chance too ? Thanks for the response

listen to this, its what I get when you turn to start and hold it there for a bit (as if you where cranking it)

Yeah, sounds like that starter's drawing too many amps. Causing shit to get HOT. Do you have another starter handy?

Also, have you tried jumping the starter solenoid via screwdriver or jumper wire yet? That will tell you right there if the starter's good or not man.

Yeah , sounds like the mechancal start solenoid ( gear/spring/bushings" are going out on yours and not engaging all the way. Sometimes the teeth get ground down , but they usually just fall apart in my experience. IDK about your battery drain honestly I hate electrical ! :lol: Good luck and start a thread on that once you find the problem ;) Might check the ring gear on the flywheel when you get a chance too ? Thanks for the response

yah I will. yup.

Anyways back on topic.

(sorry skib)

Yeah, sounds like that starter's drawing too many amps. Causing shit to get HOT. Do you have another starter handy?

Also, have you tried jumping the starter solenoid via screwdriver or jumper wire yet? That will tell you right there if the starter's good or not man.

lol that is the other starter.

I jumped it and it clicks and sizzles too :( I was afraid of that.

yah I will. yup.

Anyways back on topic.

(sorry skib)

no worrys :D its mostly relevant.

if my dumb questions can help your goon out more power to it :P

brb more vids.