L20 carb ID question

Roadracer Al

I have a '73 620, it has a L20/5 speed swapped into it. I have no idea what model or year the L20 is from.

I want to order a rebuild kit, but I don't know what kind of carb it has on it.

Is there some kind of "Carb-Spotting Guide" that will help me identify the carb make and model?

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a newer motor doesn't it have to conform to the emissions for that year? In other words, if you put a '93 KA in it the emissions would have to pass for the motor from a '93.

If it has an L20B, the earliest would be early in the '75 year model 620. If the motor was from a 610 it could be as early as a '74.

If you have a newer motor doesn't it have to conform to the emissions for that year? In other words, if you put a '93 KA in it the emissions would have to pass for the motor from a '93.

That's what I've heard, but need confirmation from other Californy folks.

As for the carburetor, if you can't tell whether it's a Weber or Hitachi, post a pic.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, just got back from a long business trip.

==

Yes, Mike, you're mostly correct: if your vehicle is "Pre-Emissions", which happened in '76, you can stuff in literally anything that will fit in the engine bay. Not only that, you don't have to do the annual tailpipe emissions test.

If the chassis is after '76, then the vehicle must meet the *newest* standard for the components. If you stuff a '68 460 into your '85 Mustang, then the Mustang must meet the '85 standards (which it won't, so retrograde swaps are pretty much impossible)

HOWEVER, If you put an '85 5.0 into your '78 Mustang (i.e. Post-Emissions chassis), the motor must retain all of the CARB mandated emissions equipment *and* pass a tail-pipe test, which is not unreasonable, but does often present packaging challenges.

If you build something that will pass tailpipe emissions but won't pass visual inspection (i.e. something oddball like a Porsche motor in a Lancia or whatever), there are "referee stations" where a trained monkey... er... state employee will examine the vehicle and test emissions and has the authority to issue a waiver from the visual inspection, but it still has to do the annual emissions testing.

I've heard a variety of stories about referees from "runs, starts, drives, good to go!" to "the welding on your mandrel bent titanium header is not up to my standards, fail".

Big PITA, ya ask me, but long-time Californians that remember getting days off from school for smog, well, they're glad things are better.

--

Here are pictures of the carb in question.

BTW, don't you just love the "Rebuilt By Krylon" look? :angry:

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

Well, it's a Hitachi DCH-340. California version, probably 77-79ish. There are several kits for different DCH-340 variants, and some kits have parts for multiple variants.

They can still send you to a referee station even if the vehicle is pre-76, and they still require all emissions for the year. They simply don't do semiannual testing of pre-76 cars. But if you get caught be a sniffer van or the cops pop the hood because you were showing off... Just ask the guy with the '71? 510 who got sent to a referee station and was looking for a stock L16 with all the trimmings just so he could keep his car.

Well, it's a Hitachi DCH-340. California version, probably 77-79ish. There are several kits for different DCH-340 variants, and some kits have parts for multiple variants.

They can still send you to a referee station even if the vehicle is pre-76, and they still require all emissions for the year. They simply don't do semiannual testing of pre-76 cars. But if you get caught be a sniffer van or the cops pop the hood because you were showing off... Just ask the guy with the '71? 510 who got sent to a referee station and was looking for a stock L16 with all the trimmings just so he could keep his car.

but he fucked up by poping the hood they cant make you open the hood without a warrent