WTB ignition coil

hello i need to find a new ignition coil for my 1980 pick up, hopefully thats what will make it run again. i've got the L20B engine i think that matters. anyway im in olympia washington, could pickup in the greater area. could use a new carburetor too, thats frigged also. thanks, lizzie

:(

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a coil at any FLAPS, but first tell us what the problem is and what you've done to troubleshoot it. Rarely does anyone need a coil -AND- a carburetor. That's just throwing dollars and parts hoping the problem gets fixed.

"If there is spark and gas.... it will start...." (maxim attributed to the Hainz)

Since you mention the coil I'll assume you have checked the gas gage.

Take an old spark plug and place it in any spark plug lead and lay on a grounded surface like the valve cover. Have someone crank it over. Is there spark?

Yes there is spark. The coil is fine.

No there is no spark. Put plug in coil lead to distributor. Spark?

Yes there is spark. The problem is in the dizzy cap or rotor or bad plug leads.

No spark. Is there power on the + side of the coil?

No power at coil. Check the White wire on the ignition switch for power when key is in the ON position.

Yes there is power. With ignition ON, use a jumper wire and touch the - coil terminal to ground and remove. Is there spark?

No spark. Coil is bad.

Yes there is spark. Ignition module is either bad or not properly tightened to the distributor or distributor not tightly bolted down and grounded to the engine. There may be a separate ground wire on the dizzy that is loose or off.

• Like 1

"If there is spark and gas.... it will start...." (maxim attributed to the Hainz)

Since you mention the coil I'll assume you have checked the gas gage.

Take an old spark plug and place it in any spark plug lead and lay on a grounded surface like the valve cover. Have someone crank it over. Is there spark?

Yes there is spark. The coil is fine.

No there is no spark. Put plug in coil lead to distributor. Spark?

Yes there is spark. The problem is in the dizzy cap or rotor or bad plug leads.

No spark. Is there power on the + side of the coil?

No power at coil. Check the White wire on the ignition switch for power when key is in the ON position.

Yes there is power. With ignition ON, use a jumper wire and touch the - coil terminal to ground and remove. Is there spark?

No spark. Coil is bad.

Yes there is spark. Ignition module is either bad or not properly tightened to the distributor or distributor not tightly bolted down and grounded to the engine. There may be a separate ground wire on the dizzy that is loose or off.

Yezz. Fuel+Air+Fire=Vroom. Check that biz. Coil is the least likely subject IMHO, unless it's physically damaged or cracked, but it is possible...

Or you can ohm out the coil using an ohmmeter (you will to know the value)

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ignition_coils.htm

or go to your local auto parts store and they can ohm it out. Kragens will do this. Yeh, don't buy stuff hoping that is the problem, it's what I call the "hail mary approach". If you don't have a book yet, it's good to have one since they will tell you how to diagnose a problem...

in 22years of driving datsuns I never had a coil go bad.

since 1980 more liley a module on the distributor.

But its a EZ ck

pull the center wire coil out of thee distributor and place near metal and start truck if sparks then COIL is OK.

If no spark make sure POWER(12volts) is at the + side of the Coil with Key in the ON position. IF NOT then its from that wire back to ignition switch or back farther to fusebox? I dont know 720s.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.