Koyosan Fuel pumps

I assume Datsunaolic or Datzen Mike know for sure on this.

I believe my Fuel pump is slowly spaying mist out the vent hole.

So I got another old pump which I SWEAR was good from underneath the seat. Install it and after a few minutes it Died. I said, Shit it ran out of gas. mI pulled the output hose off and NO gas was comming out.

I could nto believe the Pump was bad. I had never had a pump go bad. IM 95% sure this was off a running motor.

Now is it possible for a pump to go bad. Maybe the diaprame when bad while being dry TO LONG????????

Anyway I changed out the pump. I really didnt want to put a nice BLING fuel pump on a beater motor.

1)So next Question I think I seen Nissan fuel pump repair kits?? Anybody know?

2)Next question. even with a new diaprame would oil still leak out the vent hole ,since the the vent is on the Oil side of the diaphram??

I had a aftermarket Blackstone replacement Fuel pump . They work GREAT and dont have a Vent for some reason. Just they look Cheezzy and Not NISSAN. I gave it away. I wish I didnt now.

Im down to one new nissan/koyosan left

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply

I tought of that also. JB weld.

Fuck maybe Ill but the old one back on. Save that new one for a nice motor.

Will see how many people respond.

There was a website that had the 510/521 Koyasan pumps(inlet outlet locations I have to look and rember those rebuild kits for them also.I think they were for Nissan Patrols but looked very similar.

I had a pump go bad from sitting for less than a month when I was rebuilding my bug motor ages ago. it was pretty new when I decided to rebuild the motor, put it back on...the engine started, ran for about 10 min then died...finally figured out the diaphragm was bad from just sitting...

I think what's killing the diaphragms is twofold:

1) Sitting after having had fuel in them, which causes it to dry out and crack

2) High ethanol fuel. Ethanol isn't compatible with some types of rubber, which the diaphragms are made of. It actually causes some types to melt.

Also, Japan had a problem in the late 60s-mid/late 70s with the process they used to cure certain types of very soft rubber. It was shown that you could make rubber softer if you didn't cure it as long as normal. Didn't seem to be a problem until 20-25 years later when the rubber de-vulcanized (and basically liquefied). Fully cured rubber won't do that. My grandfather was a rubber chemist- he spent decades trying to discover how to de-vulcanize cured rubber because if you could de-vulcanize it, you could recycle it much like plastic.

I think what's killing the diaphragms is twofold:

1) Sitting after having had fuel in them, which causes it to dry out and crack

2) High ethanol fuel. Ethanol isn't compatible with some types of rubber, which the diaphragms are made of. It actually causes some types to melt.

Also, Japan had a problem in the late 60s-mid/late 70s with the process they used to cure certain types of very soft rubber. It was shown that you could make rubber softer if you didn't cure it as long as normal. Didn't seem to be a problem until 20-25 years later when the rubber de-vulcanized (and basically liquefied). Fully cured rubber won't do that. My grandfather was a rubber chemist- he spent decades trying to discover how to de-vulcanize cured rubber because if you could de-vulcanize it, you could recycle it much like plastic.

WOW! I was seeing a documentary about it and can they recycle rubber now?

Well, there's been ways to reuse rubber for a while. My grandfather invented a way to make railroad crossing mats out of chipped tires- the hard part was making the chips stay together. It wasn't really difficult- you just blended the chips in with new unvulcanized rubber and then vulcanized the compound. The trick was finding the right combination and the MINIMUM amount of new raw material. You wanted to use as much recycled material as possible, but the more you used, the easier it was to break apart and the harder it was to make it conform to a mold.

The material also worked as playground mats and such as well, but you had to use chips with no steel wire in it (steel-belted radial tires cause a problem) but for the railroad crossing mats the steel belt pieces weren't such an issue. I was working as a temporary lab assistant at the rubber lab when my Grandfather was working on the project- he was long retired and in his late 70s, but his mind never turned off so he'd head down to the lab and try stuff every so often.

Someone tried a similar experiment, but used rubber chips in asphalt. The rubber chips took the place of the aggregate. The problem was, using tires meant you got bits of steel belting in the chips, and when the sun hit the rubberized blacktop and heated up the tiny steel wire, the road caught on fire. Happened in Eastern Washington back in the mid 90s.