Turbo for my NA SR20DE?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crap! As I read on I get more discouraged but I am beyond point of return.unsure.gif

So here is what I'll be attempting given that my SR is healthy: Fuel Management- via Greddy E-manage piggy back, q45 injectors 370cc, OBX fuel pressure regulator. Boost Management: OBX 38mm external wastegate, regulated via Greddy Profec and HDi Gauge Type SBC-EVO. I am also going with the HKS universal SSQV blow off valve. I'll be building my own intercooler piping for the 28x8x4 intercooler. I'll have the MAF bored as well.

Regarding the DET swap I gotta agree it makes a whole lot a sense but not moneywise. Regardless of bottom or top mounted I would still have to put out even more money to fab a manifold, intercooler, etc. The outlook a mere $5 and a half to $6K.

I am budgeting at $2K max biggrin.gif

My buddy tried a couple of those china made turbo's because they were super cheap on there s13 track car. Blew the seals one right after the other in a day.

Yeah I am sure if its a track car!tongue.gif

But umm.. my nickle dime is a cruisin weekend ridecool.gif

for one all those high end parts are not going to be under 2k

and for 2 your going put all that bad ass stuff then use a cheap ebay turbo??? sounds back wards to me

sounds like your in the right direction but just do it right once or build it twice..

Yeah I am sure if its a track car!tongue.gif

But umm.. my nickle dime is a cruisin weekend ridecool.gif

Just get an sr t25 or t28. They can be had for almost the same price. Can't go wrong with OEM my friend.

Guarantee you will be on the side of the road sooner or later because of it, and it will be the weekend. It will be a bummer. 

So u think 370cc injectors will be too small to run about 6-8psi on the T3??

I just got the manifold and turbo delivered!biggrin.gif

The manifold is quite amazing. I placed it near the stock mani and its gonna clear the steering box roughly about 2in.

i think your not going to listen to anything we say so i dont know why you even started this thread you may as well build it blow it up then when your ready to REALLY build the motor RIGHT come back and ask questions with out your fingers crossed...

good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good.....

do it right once, or build it twice.....

Knock offs are for POSERS!!!!

is sure theirs more but you get the point dont cheap out on parts that REALLY matter like a turbo from e bay!!!

i think your not going to listen to anything we say so i dont know why you even started this thread you may as well build it blow it up then when your ready to REALLY build the motor RIGHT come back and ask questions with out your fingers crossed...

good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good.....

do it right once, or build it twice.....

Knock offs are for POSERS!!!!

What is a POSER?

Did you read the beginning of the thread I had already purchased the Turbo. I asked about opinions pros and cons of trubo charging my NA plus suggestions and opinions.

What makes for a good turbo a brand name and the marketing money they throw out there? From a consumer standpoint about 60% of the mark up comes from the name and the marketing. Its called OVERHEAD!! If u want to pay overpriced so be it!

Do you think a little ass turbo manufacturer will price out their products at the level of Turbonetics/Garrett?

Claims about all ebay turbos being shitty is hearsay. Because they are so inexpensive some people abuse the crap out of them, install them incorrectly and result failing.

About all these other so called high end components I am getting...Well I look around for the best price out there to keep it at a $2K mark. So its not impossible!

Expensive doesnt guarantee SHIT!

What is a POSER?

Did you read the beginning of the thread I had already purchased the Turbo. I asked about opinions pros and cons of trubo charging my NA plus suggestions and opinions.

What makes for a good turbo a brand name and the marketing money they throw out there? From a consumer standpoint about 60% of the mark up comes from the name and the marketing. Its called OVERHEAD!! If u want to pay overpriced so be it!

Do you think a little ass turbo manufacturer will price out their products at the level of Turbonetics/Garrett?

Claims about all ebay turbos being shitty is hearsay. Because they are so inexpensive some people abuse the crap out of them, install them incorrectly and result failing.

About all these other so called high end components I am getting...Well I look around for the best price out there to keep it at a $2K mark. So its not impossible!

Expensive doesnt guarantee SHIT!

jdm 510 was telling yuo his opinion isn't that what you asked for?

here is proof that you get what you pay for.

6ba95c7d.jpg

the problem with e bay turbo's is that they are poor copy's. the casting's split or they dont balance them right or the seal's are crap. and half the time you cant get a rebuild kit. some can use the turbo's rebuild kit that the turbo is copying but most times its not the same

i say fux it build it and rock it let us know how it go's

im running a t3 on my ka with 370's. at 10lbs of boost I can still lean up the mix. My afr's are at 10.5. But it all depends on how much power you are making. Just make sure you tune it right, should be pretty peppy with the high comp ratio of the n/a sr.

Run it, blow it, go buy another. You already have all the parts. Thats half the fun, IMO. Or you can be like the people who buy fast cars and drive it like a grandma.

Run it, blow it, go buy another. You already have all the parts. Thats half the fun, IMO. Or you can be like the people who buy fast cars and drive it like a grandma.

laugh.gif No kidding!

... I did pick up another turbo today ( and NO its not EBAY!)so that gives me an alternative. I picked up a deal on a used T28 Garrett Airesearch cool.gif I can go with this set up and keep the T3/T4 as a back up. I would have to pick up a flange adapter T3 to T28 for my manifold... I gotta check for clearance as it will raise the trubo housing 2 1/2 inches.

I got my OBX fuel regulator today! Other items on the way! I might as well post pics of what I got so far....

• 2 weeks later...

I am two weeks into gathering the right stuff and made some changes along the way.

I had some rethinking to do and made some hard decisions but for good sake to the SR20

I scrapped the T3/T4 turbo along with the T3/T4 manifold set up, the obx universal adjustable fuel regulator would not fit and required some crappy modification.

Starting off on a clean slate here is the list of aqcuired parts:

T28 Garrett Airesearch Turbo with Internal Wastegate

HKS EVC

CXRacing TopMount SS Manifold

SARD Fuel pressure reguator w/ Nissan Fuel Rail Adapter

Q45 370cc Injectors

HKS SQV bov

28X8X2.5 Universal Intercooler

1/8 NPT Sandwich Oil Filter Adapter

4an Straight SS Braided Hose 36" oil feed w/ restrictor

8an Straight SS Braided Hose 24" Drain

1/2npt to 8an Adapter Fitting