77 620 KC dropped a cylinder

Suspect

Last night I drove my truck about 220 miles with no problem. I go to leave for work, get about 3 miles down the road and my truck dropps a cylinder. I decided to turn back and head for home. I get home, pulled plug wires until I found that #4 cylinder wasn't running but it had spark. I pulled the valve cover off and found 2 lifters now have problems. Would it be safe to put the lash pad back on and pop the spring back on top?

Mar15_0002.jpg

Mar15_0001.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had that happen. You have to readjust the lash- there's only 3 reasons that would fall off, and the most common one (and least worrisome) is too wide a valve lash. If you don't adjust it'll just fall off again. I also know that from experience.

The other 2 not-so good reasons is sticking valves, or a weak/broken spring causing valve float.

had the same thing happen, but it was caused by the throttle shaft in the carb breaking and letting the throttle plate screw go into the engine. it got caught in the valve and the rocker was able to pop off. i thought i had a bent valve due to the rocker making more of a tick than normal. but it turned out to be the rocker popped off like yours.

i agree with the others that said the lash is out of adjustment. but i would check to see if the might have been anything that got sucked into the engine.

had the same thing happen, but it was caused by the throttle shaft in the carb breaking and letting the throttle plate screw go into the engine. it got caught in the valve and the rocker was able to pop off. i thought i had a bent valve due to the rocker making more of a tick than normal. but it turned out to be the rocker popped off like yours.

i agree with the others that said the lash is out of adjustment. but i would check to see if the might have been anything that got sucked into the engine.

Its funny you said that you had a plate screw go into the engine. When I had the valve cover off, I pulled the air cleaner and saw the choke blade laying in the carb with no screws left. I didn't think about it until I read what you wrote.