HELP! Need pics of roof rack on a 411 wagon!

Looking for some photos of 411 wagons (or maybe even some 510 wagons) with a roof rack, preferably the ones with the slats that lay on the roof...

I scored a really nice one, and I want to see how it's mounted.

Thanks guys!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Greg, here's a pic I found online, not the best but you basically install all 4 corner brackets then the flat mat in the middle is anchored to each of the 4 corner bases. The 'flat slat mat' has a metal piece that goes left to right and the ends have notched ends, if I remember correctly they are what are held onto the sides of the 4 corner bases. Sorry for the poor description but that's how I remember taking that sucker apart.

You gonna post pics of your fancy 68 yet? I took some pics of it while Aaron was monkeying around with it at Cameron's place. Oh and FYI you owe me a new old rag that I had to let Aaron have since he was getting dirty on it. :lol:

0206091728.jpg

Hey Greg, here's a pic I found online, not the best but you basically install all 4 corner brackets then the flat mat in the middle is anchored to each of the 4 corner bases. The 'flat slat mat' has a metal piece that goes left to right and the ends have notched ends, if I remember correctly they are what are held onto the sides of the 4 corner bases. Sorry for the poor description but that's how I remember taking that sucker apart.

You gonna post pics of your fancy 68 yet? I took some pics of it while Aaron was monkeying around with it at Cameron's place. Oh and FYI you owe me a new old rag that I had to let Aaron have since he was getting dirty on it. :lol:

You rock brotha!

I'll load up links to the article tomorrow sometime... I'm exhausted from writing / coding / resizing pics, etc.

Can't WAIT to put on my new goodies!!!

Thanks Mario - and I'll see what I can do about the rag LOL!

Where do you get these roof racks? I have been looking for something like this for my 1200.

get? i only got one ;)

actually got 1 in canby 07 and saw another there last year that was a bit too thrashed to mess with.

the new owner of the red g00n didnt want it, 'but the holes are already in the roof" <_<

i think it ended up in AZ???

patience...

they dont seem to pop up very often.

i look at them all cuz AFAIK they were a dealer add on, not a factory install.

would one from a 510 mount on a 1200???

That is what I am trying to figure out my friend has a VW type III so I'm going to measure it up and see if a rack for one of those would fit on a 1200.

w/ wooden slats? :cool:

they would likely fit better.

i had one for awhile and it looked alright (not mounted) on the sedan....

looked funny with the trunk rack though.

I really really like those VW wooden slat roof racks BUT the only thing is that if you put one of those on a Datsun it will look funny sitting so high. VW's have a more pronounced 'bubble' roof than our more squared off Datsun roofs, so it wouln't need to be so high to clear our roofs.

Oh and not to mention that they're expensive. Even well used and beat up they sell for at least $150 and up.

I really really like those VW wooden slat roof racks BUT the only thing is that if you put one of those on a Datsun it will look funny sitting so high. VW's have a more pronounced 'bubble' roof than our more squared off Datsun roofs, so it wouln't need to be so high to clear our roofs.

Oh and not to mention that they're expensive. Even well used and beat up they sell for at least $150 and up.

I figured out after talking to my friend (who can weld a little) that we could easily make one using wood slats from a futon that I had that broke.