hi beam on driver side doesn't work.

datsun8

dudes. my driver side hi beam doesn't work. did a cheap h4 conversion. swapped bulbs, so I know they're both good. fuses good. worrying about checking wires, messy. BUT it's only that side. When I hit the brights, the low beam on that side dims, the high beam doesn't come on. Shouldn't it just be a pigtail problem between low and high? Or I suppose it could be the hi beam circuit from the passenger side over to driver? gah! :poop: :huh: :blink:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ground problem. Check switch and ground connection, then pray to Datsun gods. Try turning on the lights and disconnecting the pigtail of the dim light, then plugging it back in. That's how I fixed mine, but ultimately the circuit needs to be re-wired, they randomly go dim vs. bright, which can be fixed by rattling around on a dirt road.

• Like 1

I did a hid set for my low beams, the driver side comes on right away I have to flick the lights about four times for them both to work, I was told that there is a harness kit that will fix it, you can search ebay for them, these about $10 roughly

• Like 1

It's probably one of the 2 headlight fuses, slide it back and forth with the headlights on. should solve the problem.

I have had the same type of thing happen and fixed it by cleaning up the the fuse box connections and fuses. So, I second the last recommendation.

Steve

• Like 1

A 510 has separate fuses for each side of the car. All the switching of the lights, on, off, high and low beams is done on the ground side of the headlights.

The following colors are from a wiring diagram, in a 1970-1971 Nissan factory service manual.

After the fuse block,

Power to the right side headlights is a red wire.

Power to the left side headlights is a red wire, with a blue stripe.

Power is applied to the common terminal on the headlights.

The low beam connection to the headlights is a red wire, with a black stripe, and goes to the headlight relay. Both sides are connected together, before going to the headlight relay.

The high beam connection is a red wire with a white stripe. The two right side headlights are tied together, and the two left side headlights are tied together, and then both sides of the car are tied together, and the red wire with a white stripe goes to the headlight relay.

The headlight relay has six terminals on it. Two are for the coil in the relay, one is the high beam terminal, one is the low beam terminal, and the other two are connected to red wires with a yellow stripe, and these are tied together.

This red wire with a yellow stripe then goes to the headlight switch.

After the headlight switch, power is then on a black wire that goes to a ground.

I have heard of two different places this black wire goes. One is back to the voltage regulator mounting screw, the other is to one of the screws mounting the bracket the holds the hood release cable.

The glass tube fuses fool a lot of people. the fuse element is just soldered in each end cap.

The old fuse holder gets old, and has some gets some corrosion on it. This creates heat, and the spring clips lose some tension, making the contact worse. More heat gets created, and in many cases, this actually unsolders the end of the fuse element inside the fuse cap, where you cannot see it.