1985 300zx with electrical issues!

HRH

Okay, just got a 1985 300zx free car with a running VG30, or at least was running. Parked in a field due to "electrical" issues. No title car, so it's going to be parted, then cut up for scrap. It's an auto too, eeewwwwwww! Fortunately a buddy has a 5 speed and intake/exhaust manifolds that fit for the 510.

So I threw a crap battery in it and eventually hooked it up to the hardbody while I was trying to start it. Had the damn security light blinking, went through trying keys in doors and locking/unlocking, light kept blinking. Finally found a blue 15 amp fuse that when removed, turned off the light. Read something on wiki answers about it killing the interior lights and radio, but disabling the security, so figured what the heck.

Still wouldn't start after that, although it tried. Also haven't verified spark/fuel, which probably would be a good idea. Decided to stop dicking with it for a minute and go play with the dog since she's been neglected while I've been getting vehicles drug over here.

Motor turns over fine, seems like it almost wants to start with starting fluid, but I think either spark is dropping or the ecu is screwing with it. After I run the dog, I'll yank a plug wire and see what's happening.

300zx1.jpg

300zx2.jpg

300zx3.jpg

300zx4.jpg

This silly thing has so many warning lights, some I'm even not sure what they are. One looks like a Roman building?

300zx5.jpg

300zx6.jpg

300zx7.jpg

300zx8.jpg

So any opinions/ideas while I take the dog for a walk would be most welcome!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, did some testing. It is indeed getting spark. The fuel pump is not pumping. So, either the 15a fuse I pulled controls the fuel pump as well as the security light, or more likely, the fuel pump is just dead. I wonder if I could run fuel through a rotary drill pump, connected directly to the rail? Hmmmm. Probably a bad idea.

I'll check the wiring schematic tonight to see if I can figure out where the fuel pump stuff is, suppose it could be a bad relay too. I'm guessing a pump is going to be mighty expensive, so I'll probably have to get one out of pull and save for testing.

Does anyone have an '85ish 300zx with a fuse cover plate intact, identifying which fuses go to what? A picture of that would be most helpful.

Turn the key to ON and have someone give the gas tank a good wallop with a baseball bat. Did this for a poor lady trapped in traffic with cars backed up behind her all pissed. She said she stalled it and it wouldn't re-start. I could not hear the pump so I got a hunk of wood and told her this was a Hail Mary and it might not work... but if it did, to drive home or to where she gets repairs done before shutting it off because it may not start again. Crank, crank, thump, vrooom!

If I recall correctly, the fuel pump relay is in the back hatch area. If you remove the inside cover on the passenger side quarter panel you should see the relay and wiring for the fuel pump. Make sure you grab the tank and pump so you can do an intank fuel pump install too.

Sweet, I'll look for that. I'm thinking the pump is already in the tank, there are two sets of wires coming out of the access panel. Either way, I just want to get it running before I tear it down, not too worried about in or out of tank.

Turn the key to ON and have someone give the gas tank a good wallop with a baseball bat. Did this for a poor lady trapped in traffic with cars backed up behind her all pissed. She said she stalled it and it wouldn't re-start. I could not hear the pump so I got a hunk of wood and told her this was a Hail Mary and it might not work... but if it did, to drive home or to where she gets repairs done before shutting it off because it may not start again. Crank, crank, thump, vrooom!

HA, that's a good idea, just like a dead starter. My roommate just went off to do his army thing, maybe I'll teach Molly to hold a bat! :D

Started banging around on the pump to no avail this morning. Probed a bunch of wires, dinked with a few things, then got to thinking. Here's the result!

(May take a few more minutes to upload)

I felt like a down on his luck drug dealer driving around in this! The mid-80s Z cars really don't age well at all. The poor thing is pretty gutless, definitely needs a tune-up. Probably needed one when the guy parked it due to "electrical" reasons. Ran well enough around the block, though.

Also, I will be parting this car out.

It has 121k miles on it, unless it's 221, but I doubt it.

I'm taking the wiring harness/motor.

It has an auto trans I'm going to recycle for scrap unless someone wants it. I sure don't.

My buddy is taking the wheels/rotors/calipers/brakelines for his chump car.

Aside from that most everything is up for grabs. If you know there's something you want, send a pm, make an offer. I may keep a few things for ebay, but most likely I'll cut it up fairly quickly and send it to the scrapper. It's pretty rough inside, but there are a few things worth saving.

Whoo hoo! Nothing like chopping up cars in the backyard!

300zxteardown1.jpg

300zxteardown2.jpg

300zxteardown3.jpg

300zxteardown4.jpg

Ever wonder why the mid 80s Zs are so heavy? Well, for one, a single door weighs 92 pounds!

300zxteardown5.jpg

300zxteardown6.jpg

300zxteardown7.jpg

300zxteardown8.jpg

300zxteardown9.jpg

It's easier if you cut out this piece of the core support.

300zxteardown10.jpg

300zxteardown11.jpg

300zxteardown12.jpg

Rolled it into the garage tonight only because I haven't finished extracting the wiring harness and I didn't want some dumb kid to walk by in the back alley and decide he needed a connector for his bike or car or something. My poor 510 is outside now! :(

Yeah, it's a VG30E in the car, non-turbo, it's bolted right to it. The automatic shifted decently before I pulled it. A little sluggish to get to reverse, which could have been old fluid. I'd still say going through the trans would be a good idea as the car has likely 121k.

The only thing is it's pretty heavy, so shipping might be a pain. I haven't detached to see how much just the transmission weighs. Let me know if it's something you want and if you want the mounts/shifter,etc.

Gay Pride: Yeah, I'll try and do that when I get the front off.

Micromachinery: It's an auto, think it has O/D so it would be a 4 speed? Or were you figuring out something else?

Mike: Hi! :)

Sadly I don't think I'm going to make it this year. Would like to, just lots of stuff going on, and funds are tight. And no gf to split the trip with this year.

Sure you don't want to buy the whole thing? :)

I've decided I'm going to sell the motor/harness/transmission. Had the idea of putting it in the 510, and if it were just a Datsun rod, I would. BUT, since I'm trying to actually go rallying, and I already spent $1500 of blood sweat and tears on the 20B, I'm going to keep that (have most of the stuff to fuel inject it) and try to offset a rollcage with the sale of 300zx parts. I'll note this in the parting out thread.

And now, for your viewing pleasure! I'll post the for sale bits in the other thread in the fs section. Got all the suspension pieces that my buddy Todd wanted today, trucked those down to the Datsun guru's shop. Then came home and had fun in the rain, as seen in the video. It's a 300zx low-rider now! Hehe.

The car yesterday:

300zxyesterday.jpg

And today:

300zxside1.jpg

300zxside2.jpg

300zxside3.jpg

300zxside4.jpg

T-tops just didn't cut it, so now it's not only a lowrider, it's a convertible! :D And I remembered to remove the shifter too, so it can go with the trans! Don't worry, I'm not hauling it with that trailer....yet. Need to redo the floor and make some sides, and wire it, and get it licensed. Drug it home 2 years ago, finally decided to work on it and make it a scrap hauling thing. Possibly a 510 hauler, but it's not really designed for that. It used to be a travel trailer.

Hoov100, spacing is 4", I'll send a pm in case you don't check this.

300zxcut.jpg

300zxcut2.jpg

If anyone wanted body cuts, too freakin' late! I'm killing her quickly! :blink: (The guy walking his dog down the alley didn't seem to believe me when I said it wasn't stolen....hmmm.) :)

300zxcutup1.jpg

300zxcutup2.jpg

300zxcutup3.jpg

The biggest pain in the ass was the gas tank. Detached and drained it back into my lawnmower gas can, then threw some water in it, swished it around. It's in the back of the truck headed for scrap tomorrow before work, just a little iffy with the fumes. Might rain tonight, that would make me feel better too. Of course, I do live in the ghetto, I could probably put it a few houses down in the street throw a match and run like hell!

J/K, I'm smart enough to not be killed by a fumey tank. Maybe.