How to build an air/fuel guage

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This gauge comes with all accessories (wires, sender unit etc.) and comprehensive installation instructions. Since this is a narrowband type AF meter gauge, it uses your actual car's O2 sensor and does NOT come with it's own O2 sensor.

Hmmmmmm..... says comes with sender unit then says does not come with O2 sensor. Also it's a narrow band so how can it read above (16:1) or below (12:1) the stoiciometric 14.7 point.??? The narrow band only operates in a very narrow range and can only say with any accuracy: yes above or no below 14.7:1 Some computer wizardry interpilation must be being used here Doug.

Moar research needed.

Hmmmmmm..... says comes with sender unit then says does not come with O2 sensor. Also it's a narrow band so how scan it read

This gauge comes with all accessories (wires, sender unit etc.) and comprehensive installation instructions. Since this is a narrowband type AF meter gauge, it uses your actual car's O2 sensor and does NOT come with it's own O2 sensor.

Ya....I need to find a 02 sensor for it....minimum 2 wire I guess?

Just went to the local parts store....a 2 wire universal 02 sensor is 75 bucks....oouch.

Needless to say I didn't buy it.

Try to find a used 1 somewhere.....trying to stay clear of the local wreckers. Figures he can overcharge.....being that there is no competition.

Hmmmmmm..... says comes with sender unit then says does not come with O2 sensor. Also it's a narrow band so how can it read above (16:1) or below (12:1) the stoiciometric 14.7 point.??? The narrow band only operates in a very narrow range and can only say with any accuracy: yes above or no below 14.7:1 Some computer wizardry interpilation must be being used here Doug.

Moar research needed.

Yes....yes, moar research

I think it comes with a special magic 'box'....? :lol:

It does say..."Uses a stepper motor for extra precision..."

The above A/F gauge can be hooked up to 2,3 or a 4 wire o2 sensor.

So......a 3 wire 02 sensor is for signal,power and ground.

Still trying to figure out if I should get a 2 or 3 wire 02 :blink:

Or is the 3rd wire redundant in my app.....but should still work........maybe :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150451782308&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.ca/O2-OXYGEN-SENSOR-2WF-SG356-TOYOTA-RAV4-97-96-/350203740920?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5189c502f8

http://cgi.ebay.ca/O2-OXYGEN-SENSOR-3W-SG36-NISSAN-PATHFINDER-00-96-/200342378144?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ea55616a0

Some are electrically heated so they can get to operating temp faster. They last longer too cause they stay cleaner.

So.......a 3 wire then?

Hmmmmmmm.....more research :D

Ya....I believe a 3 wire will be heated

Edited by Sealik
  • 1 month later...

This is back to the original post of DYI Air/Fuel gauge:

Although this topic is a bit outdated, this is the first time I read through it. Hopefully, I don't digress too much.

Anyways, I am a recent electrical engineering grad and I have been spending the last two weeks reading up on how to convert my 510 to EFI. Naturally when I start reading about the stuff I get all sorts of ideas of making the circuits myself. I figure something like Megasquirt is so well priced and has the RD that it isn't worth my time to completely reinvent the wheel. However I have noticed there is a small group of people that would like some simple and inexpensive solutions, especially on their old distributed and carbureted cars.

Well my first idea was to build a cheap replacment of the black box on the electronic dizzy. However I quickly noticed (and remembered) that this was already done. But I was also thinking that it wouldn't be all that hard to design an interface with the distributor that lets the user do simple electronic tweaks to the dizzy. It really wouldn't be all that hard to implement a MAP sensor, lock down the mechanical advance, remove the vaccuum, and make a quick way for users to map their own curves. Of course there is always distributorless ignitions, but I am talking something right in the middle and a lot cheaper. Anything like that out there? Any interest?

On the air/fuel gauge, I have finally been learning about 02 sensors, wide and narrow. It really wouldn't be that hard or expensive to design a meter that works with the wide band sensors. Without too much cost, an old school 7-seg LED could be added to it. Throw a micro-processor on, and the sky's the limit with customization.

Also, I have designed a ton of printed circuit boards for hobby-type projects and school. They are a bit pricey for one-off's, but in bulk they can be cheap per unit. This means simple kits (kind of like megasquirts DIY) can be made. Sounds kind of fun. Is there any interest in simple, middle-of-the-road, cheap devices like that?

All in all, I have no problem with electronics, but I am still in the process of learning cars. So if somebody asked me which wire runs to the reverse light in their Datsun, I would have to go to the manual and look. And I am doing my first L20b rebuild now. Regardless, as soon as I have a workable input and can provide the output, the middle part can be really easy for me.

Just an idea after reading it. I am always busy as hell, but this sounds like it could be fun.