Relays + 510 ???

KA-Kait

So here's the deal. I have ZERO Relays with my car, and I need to know what I will be needing. Does anyone know how many/what the control? The local parts store has none in their books, but they said if I got the numbers off the relays they might be able to look them up/order them. Can anyone help me? PLEASE I Beg you.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get the common Bosch style, they're cheap and effective. You may have to make some custom pigtails though. Or find a donor car with relays intact. A lot of early Datsuns use the same styles of relay. If you grab the relay and the connector, you can jam a pin in the connector end to swtich wires around to fit what you need/how your harness is wired.

But that might be hard with you sucking on that bottle of hooch! :D

Horn, Starter, Headlights, Voltage Regulator.

I am not using a VR relay since my alternator is internally regulated, so I removed that system from my wiring harness when I swapped the engine and rewired the car. I scavenged the stock relays from the '80 I swiped the motor out of, and purchased any spares available from my parts suppliers. I haven't needed a aftermarket relay yet, but when I run out of them in the distant future, I will be using the universal relay pigtails mentioned by others.

Also, if you are running an electric fuel pump, it may be wise to add a relay and seperate harness for it. I would also recommend beefing up the wires going to your headlights and putting them on a better relay.

^^^+1 and if you are running an electric fan, its a good idea to put a relay on that as it can also back-feed the electrical system when you shut the car off. i've seen the fan winding down feed the ignition and make the car run-on, also seen electric windows still work after shut down while the fan is winding down.

I am running an electric fan, so i'll keep that in mind. thanks guys! sorry for the late reply. Started my engine class this week at school and i'll I've been doing is homework and them lab at school. >.< Stupid busy, but it will pay off! :D

http://www.mattalbertson.net/electricfan.htm

There isn't all that much on what to wire, but you should be able to tell from the pics and video. But yes, wire in a relay for the electric fan. I just went to the junkyard and nabbed some relays and associated mounting brackets off 85ish Maximas, which is what I took the fan switch off of. Although I actually bought a brand new fan switch since I work at NAPA. Should have just used one out of pull and save, they really never go bad. Located in the upper radiator cap.

not to threadjack, but...I have noticed at the shop I work at we have had allot of fan relay problems on 80s-90s maximas...not sure if it is the fan motors, or the relays themselves...the last issue we had we replaced the customers fan relays with some after market(non nissan part) relays....so far so good and it has been about 6 months.

I am running Pico and DEI relays on my 510...the harnesses are readily available for the standard 5 prong generic relays.